Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Terp
Advocate III
Advocate III

YoY Change (in percentage terms) Showing -100% for Years with No Data!

I apologize, but will preface my question with another question, given that I am a total rookie and trying to learn some best practices. 🙂

• I have no qualms adding a column to my Excel file, which drives the visuals, to caluclate percentage changes; is this approach more efficient than having PowerBi call the numbers and natively do the math? Or in the bigger picture, is using 'measures' the smarter workflow?

Now my original question...used a quick measure to show the year-over-year change in a horizontal matrix. It works fine, except when we get to the 2021 data...only have Jan, Feb, and Mar data so far, so for the rest of the year in the matrix when 2021 is selected, it's computing -100% and populating the row all the way across and can't figure out how to get it to stop (checked the parameters in the 'model' area, but didn't see any settings neither there nor in the matrix visual settings to disable, say, show nulls or no values or whatever you call it. 🙂

Is there a way, without using fancy DAX (on my list next), to simply disable this "-100%"?

(I can doing the calculations myself in the spreadsheet, so maybe I answered both of my questions????) 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Terp ,

I created some data:

From January 1, 2020 to March 5, 2021

v-yangliu-msft_0-1623312007048.png

Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Create measure.

precent =
var _1=SUM('Table'[amount])
var _2=SUMX(FILTER(ALL('Table'),MONTH('Table'[date])=MONTH(MAX('Table'[date]))&&YEAR('Table'[date])=YEAR(MAX('Table'[date]))-1),'Table'[amount])
return
IF(_1=BLANK(),BLANK(),DIVIDE(_1-_2,_2))

2. Result:

v-yangliu-msft_1-1623312007085.png

If the answer is not what you expected, can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Terp ,

I created some data:

From January 1, 2020 to March 5, 2021

v-yangliu-msft_0-1623312007048.png

Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Create measure.

precent =
var _1=SUM('Table'[amount])
var _2=SUMX(FILTER(ALL('Table'),MONTH('Table'[date])=MONTH(MAX('Table'[date]))&&YEAR('Table'[date])=YEAR(MAX('Table'[date]))-1),'Table'[amount])
return
IF(_1=BLANK(),BLANK(),DIVIDE(_1-_2,_2))

2. Result:

v-yangliu-msft_1-1623312007085.png

If the answer is not what you expected, can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.