Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

X-axis data labels

Capture.PNG

Hi,

I am trying to put FY 2016 in a graph instead of 2016. As of now I can only name the 'X-axis Title' Financial Year. But I want to put it beside the actual number. Any idea how i do this?

I have attached an image showing this.

I want to do this because it is not clear straight away to the user that the years are financial years so can be confusing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@michaelsparrow  it looks like you already have Fiscal Year and Fiscal Month Columns (and the months seem to be sorted correctly)

If this is the case all you need is to add the "FY" to the Fiscal Year Column like this...

Fiscal Year =
IF (
    MONTH ( 'Calendar'[Date] ) > 6,
    "FY " & YEAR ( 'Calendar'[Date] ) + 1,
    "FY " & YEAR ( 'Calendar'[Date] )
)

Then create your chart placing the fields as in the picture, expand at the lowest level and turn off concatenate labels

Fiscal Years and Months.png

This should do it! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@michaelsparrow  it looks like you already have Fiscal Year and Fiscal Month Columns (and the months seem to be sorted correctly)

If this is the case all you need is to add the "FY" to the Fiscal Year Column like this...

Fiscal Year =
IF (
    MONTH ( 'Calendar'[Date] ) > 6,
    "FY " & YEAR ( 'Calendar'[Date] ) + 1,
    "FY " & YEAR ( 'Calendar'[Date] )
)

Then create your chart placing the fields as in the picture, expand at the lowest level and turn off concatenate labels

Fiscal Years and Months.png

This should do it! Smiley Happy

sykr0n
Frequent Visitor

I tried to create a new post but I can't, so I'm reviving this thread on the related topic.

I used to be able to click on "Drill Down" button on a table with "Concatenate Labels" off and the hierarchy of X-axis fields would be shown all the way. Why has it changed to be that you have to click on the "Expand  All" button, as described in this recent post? http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/X-axis-data-labels/m-p/150367#M64970

I even went to older charts in the same file created with earlier version  of Power BI Desktop where the hierarchy was showing correctly and  once I started to drill up/drill down, it wouldn't display as it did before. Was this an intentional change?

I'm not trying to use Date-based/Time Intelligence in the X-axis fields, so this idea is not directly relevant  and it has not  been updated  in a while: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/6709505-analysis-by-date-time-vie...

I'm a big fan and user of Power BI Desktop, but this behavior of a basic feature, which has been available and working correctly in Excel sheets for years, needs to be fixed asap or properly documented.

Love PB. Keep up the great work, can we get this resolved asap?

I'm using the Power BI Desktop April  Update.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.