Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JohnDairyAus

Workspace refreshes failing but desktop refreshes working fine - salesforce refreshes

Hi

I am relatively new to powerBI and have written some datasets extracting data from Salesforce.  They have been refreshing fine in both desktop and workspaces for months now, but a few days ago several of these projects started failing their refreshes for missing fields.

Data source errorThe 'xxxxxxx__c' column does not exist in the rowset. Table: Account.

xxxxxx__c is just one of our custom fields

I am actually getting a errors for some other fields as well.  The one thing in common though is that the fields are most definitely still in the salesforce production data.  I have had instances in the past where fields have been removed etc and that has  broken the dataset in powerBI but been easy enough to fix.  But this time around, the fields are still there, they not even accessed in any formula's, logic, conversions only in fields that I have removed because they are not needed.

Some of the projects that now don't refresh, also haven't been opened for months.   And again, when I refresh in the desktop for each project I get no errors.  

Any ideas would be most appreciated

John from DairyAus

2 REPLIES 2
JohnDairyAus

Hi Rena 

Thanks for getting back to me on this.  I managed to get my workspace projects refreshing again by just going in and reconnecting with the same credentials I had used previously.  Just had to connect again and the refreshes are now working.  I did not change the credentials at all though so should I expect this to potentially happen again?

Also I hope you had a happy new year!

Regards

John

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JohnDairyAus ,

Thanks for reaching out to us with your problem. Base on your description, it seems that you got error when refreshing your datasets(salesforce data source) in Power BI Service even though the same refreshes work fine in Power BI Desktop. According to the error message, it seems that the field  'xxxxxxx__c' doesn't exist in the table 'Account'. Please check if this field exist or renamed in Salesforce table 'Account' first. After done this, please try to do the following operations and later if can solve your problem: 

In Power BI Desktop: 

• Refresh Salesforce Metadata: Sometimes, the metadata cached by Power BI may become outdated. You can try to refresh the metadata by editing the query in Power BI Desktop and then republishing the report to the Power BI Service. - To do this, open the report in Power BI Desktop, go to "Edit Queries" and then refresh the data source. After that, save and republish the report to the Power BI Service.
  • Test with a New Dataset: As a last resort, create a new dataset in Power BI Desktop with the same Salesforce data source and fields. Publish this to the Power BI Service and see if the refresh works. This can help determine if the issue is with the specific dataset or a broader issue with the connection to Salesforce. 

In Power BI Service side:

• Check Power BI Service Dataset Settings: Navigate to the Power BI Service and go to the dataset settings for the affected datasets. Ensure that the credentials are up to date and have the necessary permissions to access the Salesforce data. 
  • Check for Schema Changes: Although you mentioned that the fields exist in Salesforce, it's worth double-checking if there have been any schema changes or permission changes that might affect the visibility of these fields to the Power BI Service. 
  • Reconfigure Data Source: In Power BI Service, try to reconfigure the data source for the dataset. This can sometimes resolve issues with missing fields.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.