Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JasonBreedlove
Frequent Visitor

Will dashboards still refresh in service if Tabular Editor license is expired?

I'm currently in a 30 day trial of Tabular Editor 3 and published a dashboard that I used it to create a calculation group. Will that dashboard still refresh after that 30 day trial is over? Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @JasonBreedlove ,

there is a simple part to the question - yes, the dashboard will refresh, but to be honest, I have to admit that I do not fully understand what you mean by this phrase. A report will be published to a workspace. A Power BI report (the pbix file) contains a dataset (import mode or direct query) and very often one or multiple reports with data visualizations. Commonly, all these report pages are called "dashboard." I think this is wrong as a dashboard is more of a concept than an artifact, except the Power BI dashboards created in the service.

Calculation groups are a feature of the Power BI dataset, not something Tabular Editor brings to the table (pun intended). Unfortunately, currently, it's not possible to create calculation groups with Power BI Desktop. This might change in the future.

The not so simple part of the answer, without Tabular Editor you are not able adjust the current calculation groups. Even if you are deleting the tables(s), there is a dataset property called "Discourage Implicit Measures" that will be set to true when the first calculation group is created:
image.png
Please be aware, that this is a property of the Power BI dataset, that is not accessible by Power BI desktop.

When you want to get rid of all the calculation groups, and delete all the tables, the property value will not change back to false.

Maybe you might consider using the free version of Tabular Editor - Tabular Editor 2.

From my point of view, a license for TE 3 is money well spent though

Disclaimer:
I do not earn money, when I promote TE 3.

Hopefully, this provides the information you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @JasonBreedlove ,

there is a simple part to the question - yes, the dashboard will refresh, but to be honest, I have to admit that I do not fully understand what you mean by this phrase. A report will be published to a workspace. A Power BI report (the pbix file) contains a dataset (import mode or direct query) and very often one or multiple reports with data visualizations. Commonly, all these report pages are called "dashboard." I think this is wrong as a dashboard is more of a concept than an artifact, except the Power BI dashboards created in the service.

Calculation groups are a feature of the Power BI dataset, not something Tabular Editor brings to the table (pun intended). Unfortunately, currently, it's not possible to create calculation groups with Power BI Desktop. This might change in the future.

The not so simple part of the answer, without Tabular Editor you are not able adjust the current calculation groups. Even if you are deleting the tables(s), there is a dataset property called "Discourage Implicit Measures" that will be set to true when the first calculation group is created:
image.png
Please be aware, that this is a property of the Power BI dataset, that is not accessible by Power BI desktop.

When you want to get rid of all the calculation groups, and delete all the tables, the property value will not change back to false.

Maybe you might consider using the free version of Tabular Editor - Tabular Editor 2.

From my point of view, a license for TE 3 is money well spent though

Disclaimer:
I do not earn money, when I promote TE 3.

Hopefully, this provides the information you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.