Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

figdor
Regular Visitor

When using forecast feature, why is the line sometimes flat and other times bumpy?

I've just started to use the forecasting feature on some time series data in Power BI desktop and it all seems to work fine except that depending on the data the forecast is sometimes flat, and other times bumpy. I can't seem to figure out what is causing this, and I can't find any documentation or anything that explains it.

If I use my full dataset the forecast line is flat as seen here:Forecast_flat.PNG

However, if I exclude some categories the line goes bumpy like this:

Forecast_bumpy.PNG

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason (that I can figure out) as to why including or excluding some categories changes the forecast line to flat or bumpy. There are no blanks in the data or anything like that - each row in my dataset has a cumulative audience figure, each line has a date, etc.

Can anyone explain what is going on here? Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@figdor

I find the crux of this issue. When we use "Auto" Seasonality, it will detect as yearly. There is not too big difference on yearly changes, when this value change split into daily, it almost "flat" every day.

444.PNG

If you want to forcast it more accurate, you can change the Seasonality into a bigger value, like 12 (evaluate on monthly).

445.PNG

Regards,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Tough to say without sample data, formulas and relationships but it looks like the category you are excluding is some sort of null or blank? Perhaps that is messing with the calculations somehow.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I've attached the data I'm using but with some identifying details removed and I'm still getting the same issues with the forecasting line being flat. You'll notice that looking at individual categories only the two with the smallest number of data points actually results in a proper forecast line (H & I). If you combine multiple categories you get some combinations that will also produce a proper forecast line (e.g. A,C,D,F,G), but most combinations are just flat.

I'm not sure of the common way to share files on here but I've uploaded the .xlsx and .pbix to Jumpshare here:

http://jmp.sh/b/FUkBib3pXO2LjhMo8Cdz

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this forecasting is for an important project and I would at least like to understand why it's not working for the majority of the data, otherwise I look like a bit of an amatuer! =S

@figdor

I find the crux of this issue. When we use "Auto" Seasonality, it will detect as yearly. There is not too big difference on yearly changes, when this value change split into daily, it almost "flat" every day.

444.PNG

If you want to forcast it more accurate, you can change the Seasonality into a bigger value, like 12 (evaluate on monthly).

445.PNG

Regards,

This is great! Thankyou so much. I should have checked that out, it kind of makes sense now in that the forecasts that were working properly were those that had greater change over the years.

Thanks again 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.