Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Hazelbaiter
Regular Visitor

What paradigm am I supposed to use?

We are starting to get more than a few customers who want our small team to develop reporting solutions for them in PowerBI. Up until now I have been very impressed with what this report tool can do. But I'm starting to lose the plot.  We started a new project recently on our own (PowerBI) tenant, creating a small number of datasets and dozens of reports. Each dataset is connected to our customer's Azure data, and we can switch into their Azure Tenant to develop ADF pipelines and Logic Apps, all using guest access. We gave guest access to our customer on our PowerBI portal and they can use the reports and report back if and when they are happy. So far so good. Now they are ready for us to publish to their portal, so that they can share the data with a wider audience. It looks like there is no way to tell the desktop app where to publish a dataset to if it isn't your own portal. I figured out how to upload a file instead, which isn't ideal but works. I then tried to understand how to upload the other report files that connect to this dataset. I couldn't, with an error message that the dataset couldn't be found. I then tried to change the dataset details of one of the reports to point at the newly uploaded dataset and go a message about having to change to a direct query model. Not yet wanting to do that I tried a PBIT file but that didn't work either. I then tried building a report from scratch and cant seem to tell the desktop app where to find the new dataset on our Tenant's  portal. At this point I'm confused about how Microsoft expect you to develop for customers. Should we have started right from the begining on our customer's tenant? Should we have been given a customer login instead of guest access? It's a bit weird that there is no way to switch portals in PowerBI like you can in Azure, and you have to find the id code for the customers portal and add that to the url. If someone has a guide on how Microsoft expect suppliers to work with customers developing reports that would be much appreciated, as I cant find anything definitive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Usually when developing for customers you choose Power BI Embedded (App owns data).  You seem to have gone the regular Power BI route?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Hazelbaiter
Regular Visitor

Thank you for responding. During my training I dismssed embedded Power BI, but I will look into it.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Usually when developing for customers you choose Power BI Embedded (App owns data).  You seem to have gone the regular Power BI route?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.