Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Brenda_Davis
Regular Visitor

Web URL Conditional Formatting of Name field using a URL field upon click returns unexpected record

I want to enable the report user to click the name of a record such that a browser launches to open the Dynamics record. The challenge is that when I configure the formating and test by clicking the link the url is for the same record regardless of the data. For example the result I have acheived displays the link as I want; but when clicked always returns "BdC-Pad-WW2". I checked the data in the Link field and it is as expected. When I copy the data from the link field into a browser it opens the expected record, not the Bdc-Pad-WW2 record shown below. 

Pad NameGUID of recordExtract GUID from Link fieldExact match?
BdC-Pad-5B3d591d11-e236-ea11-a812-000d3a5394f03d591d11-e236-ea11-a812-000d3a5394f0TRUE

WebLinkConditionalFormatting.pngPadLinkOnTable.PNGRecordOpenedFromLink.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Brenda_Davis ,

Based on your description, what you want is to dynamically change the web URL.

You could refer to this thread:https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Button-amp-Table-Measure-incl-a-website-which-open-a-site-b... 

I will be sorry if I misunderstood you.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This does not solve my problem. I reviewed the artical you suggested as well as teh MSFT documentation at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-conditional-table-formatting

To reiterate:

I used the XRM Too Box plugin = Power Query (M) Builder plugin to create my Get Data Querries; I selected the  Add Record URL option when using the Update FetchXml which builds the url data for each record from the Dyn365CEBaseURL and the record GUID.

In the Power Query Editor I observed the Data Type = Text; I made no change.

I closed and applied my queries.

In the Modeling tab, I selected the entity and attribute for the URL column "Pad Link" and set the Data Category = Web URL; Summarize = None

Is Nullable to Off

In the Data tab, I verified that the data is as expected (see original post with comparision of record GUID to extracted GUID from the Pad Link data generated by the XRMToolBox plugin = Power Query (M) Builder. Each row has a distinct value for Pad Link which is distinct by the record GUID as expected.

I tested the content by copying and pasting the content into Excel and then copying the URL into Chrome browser which opened the expected record after successful authentication to the D365 CRM environment.

In the Report tab I configured a table visual and added the record Name column; then applied conditional formatting on that Name to use Web URL and selected the column that contains the Link data created by the Power Query (M) Builder (which tested successfully in Chrom browser)

The report renders the Name as a clickable link; however when clicked it always opens a specific record that is NOT the record that I clicked the Name for. Example I cicked "BdC.c-190" which is expected to retrieve the URL from the Link field for that row; HOWEVER it actually opens a record with name "SCh-1008(h)"; No matter which URL formated Name I click the record that is opened is ALWAYS "SCh-1008(h)"; this is in correct.

This seems to be a bug in the Table Visual. How shall I report this so that it is in the queue to be addressed?

@V-lianl-msft 

Hi @Brenda_Davis ,

I would suggest you to  create a support ticket or submit your issue.

Support_Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@V-lianl-msft 

Thank you

I have provided the information to my customer and they will open a support ticket for Power BI. I will update this string with the resolution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.