Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pas58

Waterfall Chart only Showing Augments and not Decrease maybe because how my data is modeled?

I have problem with how i should model my data for the waterfall chart, which has information of different people showing how many citations they have gained over the years. In the chart it shows the values of each year but it only does in increment.

Pas58_1-1669221002999.png

And i need it to kinda look like this.

Pas58_2-1669221159283.png

Heres a sample of how the data looks

Pas58_3-1669221324379.png

Should i somehow make a Measure that calculates the difference of the previous year and put it as a breakdown or just remodel my table to fit more the waterfall chart.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Pas58 ,

When the value of y-axis is negative, it will show decrease.

vstephenmsft_0-1669278220293.png

Therefore, you need to place your current value on the y axis to compare the change amount of the previous value, if the amount of change is negative, then it will show a decrease and turn red.

For example, putting the count of id will not show an increase or decrease effect, you need to create a measure to get the difference.

Measure = COUNT('Table'[author_id])-CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[author_id]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Table'),[year]=MAX('Table'[year])-1))

vstephenmsft_2-1669278443824.png

vstephenmsft_3-1669278561091.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Pas58 ,

When the value of y-axis is negative, it will show decrease.

vstephenmsft_0-1669278220293.png

Therefore, you need to place your current value on the y axis to compare the change amount of the previous value, if the amount of change is negative, then it will show a decrease and turn red.

For example, putting the count of id will not show an increase or decrease effect, you need to create a measure to get the difference.

Measure = COUNT('Table'[author_id])-CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[author_id]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Table'),[year]=MAX('Table'[year])-1))

vstephenmsft_2-1669278443824.png

vstephenmsft_3-1669278561091.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

It wasn't exactly the solution but with your insight and explanation of how the waterfall chart works i was able to resolve my problem, thanks!

Still new to PowerBI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.