Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Virtual Connection Between Two Fact Tables

Hi!

My model will not let me do a physical relationship between two fact tables and I need thus to do a virtual connection. 

I am working with sales data and need to understand what order number (fact_sales) that is connected to my stock (fact_inventory). I need to to this through connecting my item_keys in each of the tables. Please, see below:

Capture.JPG

I have added some sample data as you find through this link (both excel & power-bi files): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11adB3fwihvfHsBlWP40HHghzZj0QUSYm/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=11610...

Very happy if someone can help me out. Let me know if any questions.

Big thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
McDermoW5

Hi,

I'd actually advise you use the Fact Sales table as a central table. This makes the model simpler. First go to Home / Modelling (depending on what view you're looking at) > Manage relationships. This shows all the relationships in your model as a list so just de-select the relationship between 'Fact_Inventory' and 'Dimension_Item'. Then click New..., select the tables from the drop downs, click on the [item_key] columns, ensure the "Make this relationship active" box is ticked then press "Okay".

Edit relationship.pngModel View.png

Table.png

If you need to use something closer to the model you have now, you could also do the same but have the relationship between Fact_Inventory and Fact_Sales as inactive and use the USERELATIONSHIP() function here on columns or measures that need it.

View solution in original post

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Can you provide a depiction of the expected outcome please?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Can you provide a depiction of the expected outcome please?

Paul on Linkedin.

Even though creating a many-to-many relationship between two tables may seem a way to solve this, best practices establish that these type of relationships should be avoided, since you might encounter strange results in measures and create ambiguity.

You can see the " pernicious"effects of these n:n relationships in the following video:

https://youtu.be/NdrrjkvH2zo 
The way you can solve this particular issue is to write measures either using TREATAS or CROSSFILTER, keeping the model as you had it originally (which is how it should be based on best practices)

If you provide sample data, we can help you with the measures.

You can see an example of how to solve a similar problem in this thread:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Many-to-Many-relationship/td-p/2124907 

Paul on Linkedin.

McDermoW5

Hi,

I'd actually advise you use the Fact Sales table as a central table. This makes the model simpler. First go to Home / Modelling (depending on what view you're looking at) > Manage relationships. This shows all the relationships in your model as a list so just de-select the relationship between 'Fact_Inventory' and 'Dimension_Item'. Then click New..., select the tables from the drop downs, click on the [item_key] columns, ensure the "Make this relationship active" box is ticked then press "Okay".

Edit relationship.pngModel View.png

Table.png

If you need to use something closer to the model you have now, you could also do the same but have the relationship between Fact_Inventory and Fact_Sales as inactive and use the USERELATIONSHIP() function here on columns or measures that need it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.