Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Net_Sec_Alt
Frequent Visitor

Very simple relationship not working...

Hi BI gurus,

Amature poster here back with an embarrassingly simple issue I can't see to figure out...

I can't seem to clear the "This cardinality isn't valid for the relationship you have selected" error, when establishing a relationship between my date table and a dimension table with budget information for 2024. Both are the type 'whole number' and there is literally only 2024 as the selection. There are no blank rows either. I don't know what could possibly be causing this to be an invalid relationship...

Date Table

Net_Sec_Alt_0-1707311788035.png
Dimension Table

Net_Sec_Alt_1-1707312918022.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Net_Sec_Alt 

When many to many relationship, you can select both way filter you needed or which table to which filter you are looking for.
Also if it is showing OK button, still you can use the relationship and filter the data

PijushRoy_0-1707323752980.pngLet me know if that works for you

If your requirement is solved, please make THIS ANSWER a SOLUTION ✔️ and help other users find the solution quickly. Please hit the LIKE 👍 button if this comment helps you.

Thanks
Pijush
Linkedin

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PijushRoy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Net_Sec_Alt 

You did not mention which column you are using in a relationship. I am assuming you are using the Year column (as the same column is present in both screenshots)
So 2024 is present in both tables multiple times, the relationship should be many to many
Now the question is, how do you want to filter the data? Both-way filter or single-way filter.
For a better relationship technique, please use One to Many or Many to One, 

Please share more details and other table relationship as well

Hi @PijushRoy, yes I am trying to link Year in both tables so that in my report I can slice a visual that displays the budget amount, first for 2024 and then for more data as it's added in. With that in mind I think the relationship should be one (dimension table) to many (date table) but it keeps running into the aforementioned error

Hi @Net_Sec_Alt 

When many to many relationship, you can select both way filter you needed or which table to which filter you are looking for.
Also if it is showing OK button, still you can use the relationship and filter the data

PijushRoy_0-1707323752980.pngLet me know if that works for you

If your requirement is solved, please make THIS ANSWER a SOLUTION ✔️ and help other users find the solution quickly. Please hit the LIKE 👍 button if this comment helps you.

Thanks
Pijush
Linkedin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.