Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBi_18
Frequent Visitor

Using two smart filters

Hello there, apologies if this is a simple question, I am new to DAX and Power Bi. The purpose of my code is to show gross profit. I have three filters on the dashboard, which should adjust the gross profit readings. When the filters are applied individually, the gross profit is adjusted correctly. However, when using multiple filters, the original gross profit is calculated (with no filters).  

New GP = VAR SelectedPersonsGP = CALCULATE(CALCULATE(SUM(Append1[Gross Profit]),ALL(Append1[TLDESC ])),ALLSELECTED(Append1[Person]))

VAR NonSelectedPersons = CALCULATE(SUM(Append1[Gross Profit]),ALL(Append1[Person]),ALL(Append1[TLDESC ]))

VAR PersonFilter = IF(ISFILTERED(Append1[Person]),NonSelectedPersons-SelectedPersonsGP,NonSelectedPersons)

VAR SpecificFilter = IF(ISFILTERED(Append1[TLDESC ]),CALCULATE([One Off Expenses],ALL(Append1[Person])))

VAR NewGP = PersonFilter+SpecificFilter

RETURN
NewGP 

Any help is appreciated, many thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

check out this thread

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/or-logic-slicer/m-p/460738
solution I posted there involves creating new tables, but there is also link to SQLBI article on the matter
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/using-or-conditions-between-slicers-in-dax/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

can you share the sample from Append1 table?
is NonSelectedPersons supposed to show all sales rather than sales for non selected? I must say I find the naming quite confusing when comparing with syntax
what is in Append1[TLDESC ] and why it requires ALL criteria?

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I can not share the data as it is company informtation. 

Yes, NonSelectedPersons shows the gross profit of the firm as a whole, not highlighting any particular person, it should be named allpersons, apologies. 

TLDESC is the description of transaction lines. When filtered to one off expenses using the specific filter, it should add this to the total gross profit (to help with forecasts as these events are one off and can be ignored). It should add this to the gross profit value if it is entered in the filter, regardless of whether a selected person has been filtered in. 

Currently, the gross profit value is = NonSelectedPersons when both the person and specific filter are used.  

For reference, the One off Expenses code is as follows:

One Off Expenses =
VAR ConsultantExpenses = CALCULATE(SUM(Append1[-Formula5]),FILTER(Append1,Append1[TLNOMCOD]=80000),ALL(Append1[Person]))
VAR AssociateExpenses = CALCULATE(SUM(Append1[-Formula5]),FILTER(Append1,Append1[TLNOMCOD]=80250),ALL(Append1[Person]))
VAR ConsultantRechargedExpenses = CALCULATE(SUM(Append1[-Formula5]),FILTER(Append1,Append1[TLNOMCOD]=70050),ALL(Append1[Person]))
VAR AssociateRechargedExpenses = CALCULATE(SUM(Append1[-Formula5]),FILTER(Append1,Append1[TLNOMCOD]=70250),ALL(Append1[Person]))
VAR SelectedExpenses = CALCULATE(-[Unchargeable expenses],ALLSELECTED(Append1[TLDESC ]),ALL(Append1[Person]))
RETURN
SelectedExpenses

when I ask for the table I really need the structure - can you copy say top10 rows with anonymized data when necessary?

TLDESCPersonGross Profit
Conference 1Person 1-10
Conference 1Person 1-30
Conference 1Person 2-15
Conference 1Person 2-6
Conference 1Person 2-1500
Conference 1Person 2-2000
Conference 1Person 3-500
Conference 1Person 3-100
Conference 1Person 4-25
Conference 2Person 1-100
Conference 2Person 2-60
Conference 2Person 2-20
Conference 2Person 5-50
Other costsPerson 6-5000
project 1person 125000
project 2person 410000
project 3person 512500

Hi, thanks again for looking at ths. So I've written up a basic tabe of what is happening. If we filtered on Person 6 AND Conference 1, we would want to add the 9186 (sum of conference 1 and person 6) to the total gross profit. In effect, seeing what the result would be without one off costs (conference) and without person 6 being busy. 

check out this thread

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/or-logic-slicer/m-p/460738
solution I posted there involves creating new tables, but there is also link to SQLBI article on the matter
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/using-or-conditions-between-slicers-in-dax/

PowerBi_18
Frequent Visitor

I will try and clarify my post: 

The dashboard filters enable me to search for the individual and 'add' (the value is negative) their potential GP to the total GP, for example if they were working on a separate project and were excluded. I would also like to add one off expenses (specific filter) to the GP. As the data for these inidivuals do not overlap, I have used separate if statements using all filters and tried to sum the resulting variables. When using both filters however, the original GP is returned (Non specific person), perhaps to do with the order of the filters?

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me. Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.