Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Claire4Green
Frequent Visitor

Using parameters in a report to change dataset

Hi there,

We have started using Pipelines and use parameters in the data model to switch between dev, test and prod dataflows. Rules can be applied as part of the deployment so when we move a model from dev to test it automatically switches sources. Our reports are separate from the data models as a single model can be used in a number of reports, this seems to be best practice from what I have read.

So my question is, is it possible to parameterise the data model (Power BI Dataset) source? What I want to be able to do is when I deploy a report from dev to test it switches from the dev data model (dataset) to test. As you can't connect to a Power BI Dataset in query editor, only from Get Data on the report page, I can't see how you can use parameters.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Claire

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems like you cannot make a live connection (which is what connecting to a Power BI Dataset is) and have another data source (which is what a parameter is).

On the plus side, it looks like you only have to wait a month: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform-release-plan/2020wave2/power-bi/direct-query-over-po...

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

thanks @amitchandak but I think the article you link to explains how to parameterise the data model as opposed to the report. What we have is a report pointing at a data model and when you open the report in Power BI Desktop you don't have the ability to create parameters. What we want to be able to do is point the report at the PROD data model then switch it to the TEST data model and then finally the DEV data model. Does that make sense? Thanks, Claire

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.