Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Value from a Filtered Table

Another question.

I have a table called t_Fruit with one column named Fruit_Name.  The table contains 3 rows, Apples, Pears and Bananas.

I have added a slicer which is based on t_Fruit[Fruit_Name].

If I display the table t_Fruit as a Table visual and use the slicer I can see that the selected fruit is displayed as the sole occupant of the Table visual.  All good so far.

Elsewhere I am creating a dynamic table using SELECTCOLUMNS.  This new dynamic table is based on the data in another table called t_Shopping.  Basically, I want to create the dynamic table with a column where the value is based on the filtered value.

So,

t_Shopping = SELECTCOLUMNS("Fruit to Buy",Value In Filter)

I thought t_Shopping = SELECTCOLUMNS("Fruit to Buy", MIN(t_Fruit[Fruit_Name])) might work or SELECTEDVALUE(t_Fruit[Fruit_Name]) but neither work.

I am rather confused.

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

AFAIK, power bi does not support creating a dynamic calculated column/table based on filter/slicer.

Calculate table/column are stored on data model level, measure, filter and slicer are works on data view level(it is a virtual table generated from data model table), you can't use child level to affect its parent.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
danno
Resolver V
Resolver V

The only part of the data model that is created on the fly is within measures.  If you are doing a SELECTCOLUMNS within a calculated table, then that table is only populated when the model is refreshed.  This is not truly dynamic as all the tables within your model have to be refreshed for the calculated table to be refreshed. 

It sounds like maybe you don't have your relationships set up correctly in your model - can you confirm if you have a relationship between your product table and your shopping table? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

To help explain what I am trying to do I have created a very simplified version, the link is below.

If you look at the defintion for t_Shopping, I am trying to set the value for the second column in this table to be equal to the type of fruit selected from the filter shown.

Hope this makes it clear.

Thanks.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1c2NvjYoGi8oG8L5IEBy9KbaQVrBkZHTm

Hi, 

still not quite sure why you are doing this, are you trying to analyse fruit sales? 

If so you need to think about a suitable data structure to do that, currently you have 3 separate tables and no relationship between them.  

Power BI is an application for anlaysing data, not creating shopping lists, unless you are perhaps doing basket analysis? 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Not very clear. Can you share sample data and sample output.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.