Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

edaugherty
Regular Visitor

Using R script in Power Query - Error associated with factor level recognition

I have an Excel file that I want to transform in Power Query using R script. The script runs fine in R Studio, but when I run it as a query in Power Query, I get the error: Error in relevel.factor(dataset_name$Column6, ref = "FactorA") : 'ref' must be an existing level.

ErrorCode=-2147467259
ExceptionType=Microsoft.PowerBI.Scripting.R.Exceptions.RScriptRuntimeException

'Ref' is an existing level, and as I mentioned, this section of code runs correctly in R Studio. Prior to this step, Power BI applies the following steps automatically when I bring in the Excel file and select Transform Data:

edaugherty_0-1605140049556.png

Is one of these steps changing something in the data that is making it difficult for R to recognize the data type? I have used this same code in Power BI through the Get Data > R script functionality (along with file path information in the R code) without a problem.

I am wanting to use R in Power Query to hopefully be able to change the data source to other files with the same structure, and then Power BI will automatically run it through the queries and update the visuals according to the new data file.

Thank you!

Ellen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It would appear that the problem was due to a space being entered at the end of "Factor A ". Trimming white space solved the problem. Of course, now I have another problem, but I'll put that in another thread.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Thanks for responding, @amitchandak!

I assume you mean the R packages. Yes, all necessary packages are installed and loaded. In any case, the function causing problems is from base R, not a package. As I mentioned, the script works just fine when used through the Get Data > R script pathway. It does not work when I use it to transform the original Excel file in Power BI's Power Query.

It would appear that the problem was due to a space being entered at the end of "Factor A ". Trimming white space solved the problem. Of course, now I have another problem, but I'll put that in another thread.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.