Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alina12
Frequent Visitor

Using Jira Rest API as a non dynamic data source with pagination, filter, fields, and authorization

Hi to all,

Since it took me a very long time to solve my problem and I finally managed it with this community, I didn't want to withhold the solution from you and show you how I managed to get data into Power BI via the Jira Rest API. I hope it helps many others who have the same problem and feel like they are searching the whole www and can't find a suitable solution, like me. About the initial situation. I wanted to get data from my company's Jira into Power BI via the Rest API. This presented me with several challenges:

• The custom filter from Jira was outputting >5000 rows of data. A call in Jira is limited to a maximum of 1000 results. The m-code therefore had to contain a pagination
  • I had to define certain fields that were relevant to me and not extract all the data from Jira
  • The header had to contain an API token as authorization, as it is a Jira of my organization
  • The data source should be a static one, otherwise I got the error message of the dynamic data source in Power BI Services when the report should be published.

The biggest problem turned out to be the constant error message from a dynamic data source in Power BI Services. To solve this I use the commands Web.Contents, RelativePath and Query. These articles have helped me a lot as a basis for understanding:
https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2016/08/16/using-the-relativepath-and-query-options-with-web-contents-i... 
https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2016/08/23/web-contents-m-functions-and-dataset-refresh-errors-in-power... 

To get the API token from Jira, follow this article:
https://support.atlassian.com/atlassian-account/docs/manage-api-tokens-for-your-atlassian-account/
Despite the blogs I found on the internet, a basic authorisation did not work for me. I used the bearer authorisation type with my unmodified API token.

To get only the data of my custom filter from Jira, the filter ID was important. You can find this out in the Jira url when you call up the filter. 

Long story short, here is the final query that worked well for me and solved all my challenges. I have tried to explain the individual steps in the comments:

let 
    BaseUrl = 
    Web.Contents(
        "https://XXX.XXX.net/jira/rest/api",
        [
            RelativePath="2/search",
            Query=
            [
                jql="filter=525545",
                fields="issuetype,key,summary,customfield_10401,labels,customfield_10000,status,resolution,customfield_11200"
            ],
            Headers=[Authorization="Bearer **Your Token here**"]]
    )  ,
    // JiraIDPerPage: Number of Jira tickets per page. 
    JiraIDPerPage = 1000,

// GetJson: Function to retrieve data from the Jira API and return it as JSON.
    GetJson = (Url) =>
        let 
            RawData = Web.Contents(
        [
            RelativePath="2/search",
            Query=
            [
                jql="filter=525545",
                fields="issuetype,key,summary,customfield_10401,labels,customfield_10000,status,resolution,customfield_11200"
            ],
    )  ,
            Json    = Json.Document(RawData)
        in  Json,

// GetJiraIDCount: Function to determine the total number of available Jira tickets for a filter ID.
    GetJiraIDCount = () =>
        let Url   = Web.Contents(
        [
            RelativePath="2/search",
            Query=
            [
                jql="filter=525545",
            ],
    )  ,
            Json  = GetJson(Url),
            Count = Json[#"total"]
        in  Count,

//GetPage function: Retrieves a page of Jira tickets based on the specified index.
// - Index: The page number, starting at 0.
// - Skip: Skips a certain number of Jira tickets based on the page number.
// - Top: Specifies the maximum number of tickets to return per page.
// - Url: The full URL for the API request based on BaseUrl, Skip and Top.
// - Json: Retrieves data from the Jira API and returns it as JSON.
// - Value: Extracts the relevant information (under 'issues') from the JSON.
    GetPage = (Index) =>
    let
        Skip = Text.From(Index * JiraIDPerPage),
        Top = Text.From(JiraIDPerPage),
        PageData = Web.Contents(
            [
                RelativePath="2/search",
                Query=
                [
                    jql="filter=525545",
                    startAt=Skip,
                    maxResults=Top,
                ],
                Headers=[Authorization="Bearer **Your Token here**"]
            ]
        ),
        Json = Json.Document(PageData),
        Value = Json[#"issues"]
    in Value,

// JiraIDCount: Calculates the total number of Jira tickets and selects the maximum number per page.
    JiraIDCount = List.Max({ JiraIDPerPage, GetJiraIDCount() }),

// PageCount: Calculates the total number of pages based on the number of tickets per page.
    PageCount   = Number.RoundUp(JiraIDCount / JiraIDPerPage),

// PageIndices: List of page indices.
    PageIndices = { 0 .. PageCount - 1 },

// Pages: Retrieves the corresponding page of Jira tickets for each page index.
    Pages       = List.Transform(PageIndices, each GetPage(_)),

// JiraID: Combines the pages into a complete list of Jira tickets.
    JiraID    = List.Union(Pages),

// Table: Creates a Power Query table from the list of Jira tickets.
    Table       = Table.FromList(JiraID, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),

//From here data transformation

Hope this post helps you!
Alina

3 REPLIES 3
Maur0s

Hello

Thank you very much for your help, it now gives me a message in the power query that says
"Expression.Error: Access to the resource is prohibited."
Do you know what this could be due to?

Hi @Maur0s 

First of all, I would assume that your authorisation was incorrect. Perhaps the Bearer authentication type is not the correct one for accessing your Jira. An alternative would be basic authentication.
But can you perhaps provide your code?

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Alina12,

Thanks for your sharing, I think these sample code will help other who have the similar requirement.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.