Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

EliasAR
Regular Visitor

Using End of Month as outer context to show active subscriptions per month

Hi everyone

I have a database with different sales opportunities, each of them has a "Service Start Date", a "Service End Date" and a Value.

Example: 

Client 1, SSD= 01/01/2023, SED= 31/12/2023, Value (ARR) = 5,000€.

I want to show the sum of the active opportunities in a table that has the end of months in columns. 

In the previous example, Client 1 is Active between SSD and SED, therefore I should see 5,000€ in every column between Jan 23 and Dec 23.

I also have a Calendar table with Dates and a end of month column calculated from dates.

my first measure is

Total ARR = SUM('Unpivoted DB Ungrouped'[Value])

the measure I'm showing in the matrix is the following:

Monthly ARR = CALCULATE(
[Total ARR],
FILTER(
'Flat DB Ungrouped',
'Flat DB Ungrouped'[Service Start Date] <= ENDOFMONTH('Calendar'[Date]) &&
'Flat DB Ungrouped'[Service End Date] >= ENDOFMONTH('Calendar'[Date])
)
)

Here is the relationship with the CalendarEliasAR_0-1714686889781.png

and here is how I set-up the matrix:EliasAR_2-1714686981787.png

I'm not sure about the monthly-ARR Dax code, the goal is to use the end-of-month filters in the calcultate filter.

What am I doing wrong, I'm clearly not getting the right results:EliasAR_4-1714687237837.png

in the previous image, the 4,000 belongs to an opportunity going between the 8/8/2023 and the 7/08/2024.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DataNinja777
Super User
Super User

Hi @EliasAR 

In order for your duration calculation (yellow highlighted part) to perform in the manner you intended, you need to have the calendar table and your fact tables as disconnected tables.  This is because you have start date and end date in your fact table (two date fields) and because of multiple date fields, you should not create relationship with the calendar table for it to calculate the duration properly.  

DataNinja777_0-1714702648248.png

The technique used is similar to headcount formula, albeit amounts are involved in your service revenue projection.  

The link below shows an example of the use of disconnected tables to achive the similar result which you require relating to the duration calculation.  

https://p3adaptive.com/finding-the-magic-part-2-on-the-way-to-data-happiness/

Best regards,

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
EliasAR
Regular Visitor

@DataNinja777 Thanks a lot for your help. That was the problem, now that you mentionned it, I can clearly see how it was affecting the results.

Cheers!

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Share the download link of the PBI file.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
DataNinja777
Super User
Super User

Hi @EliasAR 

In order for your duration calculation (yellow highlighted part) to perform in the manner you intended, you need to have the calendar table and your fact tables as disconnected tables.  This is because you have start date and end date in your fact table (two date fields) and because of multiple date fields, you should not create relationship with the calendar table for it to calculate the duration properly.  

DataNinja777_0-1714702648248.png

The technique used is similar to headcount formula, albeit amounts are involved in your service revenue projection.  

The link below shows an example of the use of disconnected tables to achive the similar result which you require relating to the duration calculation.  

https://p3adaptive.com/finding-the-magic-part-2-on-the-way-to-data-happiness/

Best regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.