Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Pilot
Regular Visitor

User driven data access

Trying to figure as to how this can be done in Power BI

Example:

Jane Doe logs in and I just want her to see data from Japan, Mark logs in but he is only allowed to see Germany data, and now Jess logs in and he is allowed to see both Japan and Germany data.

Is there a way that we can do this "User driven data access" as this is the only thing that is holding us back in fully implementing Power BI any help would be awesome.....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Pilot You only need a Power BI Pro License, but in order to use Sql Server Analysis Services - Tabular. You need:

SQL Server (Business Edition or Enterprise)

SSDT (Sql Server Data tools) - or BIDS (Business Intelligence Design Studio) -- Depending on the version of SQL. these are Visual Studio components that allow you to create Tabular models to deploy to the SSAS instance.

Then you would download the power bi analysis services connector to directly connect to the model.

There is obviously added cost here with the above.

If you are looking for something out of the box in Power BI - there isn't anything that currently supports your need.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@Pilot Use SSAS Tablular model. This method can support row level permissions. There is not other method currently that Power BI supports row level. The other alternative is to build seperate models (not really ideal).

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks Eno1978, can this be done "Use SSAS Tablular model" even though we are not utilizing Office 365 and is there a link that you can provide to show on how is this done?

@Pilot You only need a Power BI Pro License, but in order to use Sql Server Analysis Services - Tabular. You need:

SQL Server (Business Edition or Enterprise)

SSDT (Sql Server Data tools) - or BIDS (Business Intelligence Design Studio) -- Depending on the version of SQL. these are Visual Studio components that allow you to create Tabular models to deploy to the SSAS instance.

Then you would download the power bi analysis services connector to directly connect to the model.

There is obviously added cost here with the above.

If you are looking for something out of the box in Power BI - there isn't anything that currently supports your need.

Awesome, we do have about 10 Power BI Pro licenses and we have the tools you have mentioned is there a link that we can read about the "Use SSAS Tablular model" and I can combine this with the MAF?

This is the link that you probably want:

https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/471633-sql-server-analysis-services-tabular-data-...

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.