Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

alicia57
Helper I
Helper I

Use a parameter in a query in a MySQL database

Hello,

I would like to use a list of results from a first query in a second one.

I launch a first query on a SQL Server database. I click on a column "id" and "Add as New Query", then "New Parameter" : my parameter is the list of id named "tx_id".

Now I would like to launch a query on another database (MySQL this time) using this parameter. 

select * from...

where id = #'tx_id'

I tried this query with and without quotes, with and without double quotes, with @ and $ instead of # but I always have an error.

Would you have an idea?

Thank you,

Alicia

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi

because tx_id is a series of id numbers you need to pass them into SQL in a format it expects.

I used Text.Combine to create my parameter so it read '123','124','125' which is what i needed to pass to the SQL where clause. As you are using a number then i do not think you need the '' so you need to pass into SQL IN clause (123,123,123,123) etc if tx_id looks like 123,123,123,123 then you can concatenate it into your SQL like your example.

So the key to solving this is to make sure that tx_id results look exactly what SQL requires.

Regards

Mike

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
hbuzzi

hi alicia, help-me. I want to create a query in mysql and i dont know how create

if I select mysql, I put the IP and user, and I see tables, but   I what create a query thats use many tables .

can you help me?

Humberto Buzzi

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

what is your error?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

If I write "... where id in @tx_id" the error is "MySQL: Fatal error encountered during command execution."

Otherwise

the error is "You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '@'tx_id'' at line 13

I suppose it is a syntax error because when I replace the condition by "where id in (1,2)" I obtain results I am expecting.

I have also tried to modify the query directly in the Advanced Editor : 

"let

dbQuery="select ... from ... where id in" & @tx_id,

Source = MySQL.Database("server", "name_database", [Query=dbQuery, CommandTimeout=#duration(0, 16, 40, 0), ReturnSingleDatabase=true])
in
Source"

but I have no result.

Hello Alicia

I have got this to work by concatenating my parameter into the SQL

for example

where id = ' "& Parameter &" '

just be sure to drill down in power query so that your parameter is a single value. if you need multiple id then this will be different to create.

thanks

Mike

Hello @mmanwaring,

Thank you very much for your answer !

Indeed I need a list of id. Do you know what is the way to create it ?

Regards,

Alicia

Hi Alicia

With SQL you need WHERE id IN ('id','id','id')  for example

so how i got this to work was i created a table in excel which was a single column of values. I then queried that into power query and made the column text, this created the step #"Changed Type" by default.

then add a custom column and turned it into a list. here is the exact code, Text.Combine allowed me to add the ' '  to each value

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="CustomerList"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"CustomerCode", type text}}),
    CustomerCode = "'"&Text.Combine(#"Changed Type"[CustomerCode],"','")&"'"
in
    CustomerCode

then SQL is WHERE id IN ("& CustomCode &")

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike, 

Thank you again for your answer but I want to automate all the work in Power BI without using Excel or another software.

I have a first query launched in Power BI under a SQL Server database. From this result I have selected the column which I want to use in another query, convert into number (because in the other database on which I will launch the other query, this field is number type) and I click on "Add as New Query", then I have created my parameter "tx_id".

My second query is launch on a MySQL database. In the advanced editor, I tried WHERE id IN ("& tx_id &") but I have the error message : "DataSource.Error: MySQL: This database function doesn't support the query option 'Query' with value 'null'." whereas I have values in my list.

Regards,

Alicia

Did you use Text.Combine to convert the query into the format SQL requires?

No, in my Advanced Editor I have only 

let

Source = MySQL.Database("server", "name_database", [Query="select ... from ... where id in '("& tx_id &")' " CommandTimeout=#duration(0, 16, 40, 0), ReturnSingleDatabase=true])
in
Source

I don't understand how and why using Text.Combine as it is already considered as a query.

Thanks,

Alicia

Hi

because tx_id is a series of id numbers you need to pass them into SQL in a format it expects.

I used Text.Combine to create my parameter so it read '123','124','125' which is what i needed to pass to the SQL where clause. As you are using a number then i do not think you need the '' so you need to pass into SQL IN clause (123,123,123,123) etc if tx_id looks like 123,123,123,123 then you can concatenate it into your SQL like your example.

So the key to solving this is to make sure that tx_id results look exactly what SQL requires.

Regards

Mike

Finally I have decomposed my query into several queries but I have still an error:

"Formula.Firewall: Query 'Query1' (step 'Source') references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination."

Regards,

Alicia

Yes mine always asked to run the native query, i think that can be turned off in options. it looks like you are close to solving this.

How many id's are you passing into the WHERE clause?

Mike

I have more than 100000 id but as I said in the previous post, I have split the result of the query and now it's fine.

Now I have the problem about the "data combination". After some researches on the net, it seems we can not combine an external data source with another query. 

let
Source = Sql.Database("host", "database", [Query="select * from ...'", CommandTimeout=#duration(0, 16, 40, 0)]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"tx_id", type text}}),
tx_id = Text.Combine(#"Changed Type"[tx_id],"','")
in
tx_id

After this step I obtained the list of id.

Then I want to launch my second query taking into account the obtained list of id:

= MySQL.Database(Server,Database,[Query="select ... from ... where id in ("& tx_id &")", CommandTimeout=#duration(0, 16, 40, 0), ReturnSingleDatabase=true])

I have the error here whereas the query in which I used the list "tx_id" is in another editor.

Regards,

Alicia

Hi Alicia

Perhaps there is another way, you could put the whole SELECT clause for the ID's into the WHERE clause on the other query

= MySQL.Database(Server,Database,[Query="select ... from ... where id in (select id from mytable )", CommandTimeout=#duration(0, 16, 40, 0), ReturnSingleDatabase=true])

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your suggestion but the two queries are not launched on the same database.

Edit : Finally it was a problem of options, I have to select "Always ignore Privacy Level Settings" in Options -> Options and settings -> Privacy

Thank you for your help !!

Alicia

Nobody would have an idea ? Cat Sad

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.