Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amjenkens
Regular Visitor

Use PBI for massive flat files from NVSS

Does anyone have experience with using National Vital Statistics data in Power BI. I'm particularly interested in the birth data https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data_access/vitalstatsonline.htm and curious how you went about making this a usable dataset through Power BI. Any help appreciated

5 REPLIES 5
danextian
Super User
Super User

I didnt have a problem importing about 4G of data into the model although that could be different if you had more plus extra transformations in PQ.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @amjenkens ,

You can import data by using the Text/csv connector.

vcgaomsft_0-1663211486398.png

Edit data in PowerQuery Editor.

vcgaomsft_2-1663211772483.png

Power BI Tutorial | From Flat File To Data Model - Guy in a Cube

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

I understand how to use the get data, the problem is the file that indicates the delimeters and column values is in a separate file. How do I go about integrating the codebook file before loading the flat file so that it is specified correctly?

Can you share with us the other file?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.