Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

alicemntt
Frequent Visitor

Update SQL query from a changing data in the dashboard

Hello all, 

I'd like to change my SQL query in function of a data that I would change directly in the dashboard. It seems impossible but i'm still trying, hoping someone knows how to do it. 

Here is a bit more details : 
I have an SQL query that imports my data from a data base : 

= Sql.Database("database", "DB", [Query="WITH    TABLESELECT   #(lf)  AS (select [$Table1].[firstdata] [...] #(lf)        where [$Table1].[Date on which the record was created] = CHOSEN_DATE #(lf))#(lf)SELECT * FROM DB    #(lf)#(lf)"])

So the date of the imported datas will depend on the 'CHOSEN_DATE'. I know how to change this chosen date in function of a parameter. However, what I'd like to do is to be able to change it from within the dasboard. So i'd like to change the date in the green rectangle and so it updates my native query 

Capture d’écran 2022-03-09 à 11.35.03.png

Is this possible ? If yes, how ? thank you 

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@alicemntt , not very clear. But this direct query, refer Dynamic M parameters

Basically I import my datas from an SQL database so i prefilter my datas according to a specific date: 

alicemntt_0-1646832238548.png

So my datas are already prefiltered on the date. However, I'd like to make this filter dynamic and be able to change the date according to whats in the dashboard. So if someone changes the date in the dashboard in the green rectangle in the next screenshot and enter for example march 9th, I'd like the query to be filtered on the 9th of march. Is there any way this is possible ? 

alicemntt_1-1646832238556.png

thank you ! 

Hi @alicemntt ,

I doubt if this is possible. Changing of parameter in the Report Viewer Screen is way downstream from the place where you import the data. The Data selection that you make here will be available only for any downstream operations that you might do like adding a new column or new measure to the original dataset.

You can instead use Parameters inside Power Query to do the filtering and display the parameters as read only values in Data Card.

For the Users to be able to edit the parameter, you can use the approach that is used in the below video by Guy in a Cube

https://guyinacube.com/2017/05/24/dynamic-power-bi-reports-using-parameters/

Regards,

Thank you for your response ! I did use the parameters even though it was not an ideal solution ... In the end I actually didn't need to change the date anymore so 🤷🏼‍♀️

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.