Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MissMintox
Helper I
Helper I

Unable to set refresh for Web anonymous connection in Power bi Server

I'm relatively new to the Power bi and my problem is:

I was able to connect and refresh the data connection as anonymous from a Web connection in Power Bi Desktop.

However when I am trying to schedule the refresh to the same report on Power BI Server, it is returning me the following error.

Why is that? How can I fix it?

Capture.PNG

12 REPLIES 12
Bjuu
Frequent Visitor

Hey there,

I'm dealing with the same issue right now and stumbled over your post. I'm connecting to a public Website and can't set up a scheduled refresh in the PowerBI Service. Anonymous Credentials are used and the Refresh in PowerBI Desktops works fine. PowerBI Service is telling me, i have to provide credentials for that datasource and that i have to use a gateway. Wich i really don't understand, it's a public reachable website. Everybody can go to that site and have look. 

I only need that data from that website, to merge the values with a table from a Azure SQL-Database. As soon as I import data from that website and do my transformations and so on, I can't set up a scheduled refresh.

Doe's anybody has an idea?

Kind regards

Bjuu

Hi @Bjuu

Found a simple workaround for this:

I changed my anonymous to "basic" connection on power bi desktop and passed the API key as the username (left password blank).

But make sure you get rid of API key in your advanced editor if you did set one.

I followed the same "basic" connection when logging on to the power bi service (passed API key as the username) and it worked!

Hope this helps. Any queries, let me know.

I'm confused what API key to use when this is anonymous to a public website though?

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @MissMintox,

If I understand your scenario correctly that you could refresh the data source successfully in Power BI Desktop, but you get error when you refresh the same report in Power BI Service?

Have you configured a data Gateway and add your data source in Power BI Service?

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-piga-msft

Yes you are correct. I am able to refresh it on Power bi desktop but not on Power bi server.

No I haven't configured any data gateway. Is this something I need to be doing? If so, could you please elaborate on that? 

I am relatively new to Power bi.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous

But it says 404 - Page not found

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops, added extra blank space in the url by accident. Try this one

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-scheduled-refresh

I just looked at the gateway details and it's like below:

Capture.PNG

Hi @MissMintox

From your screenshots, it seems that you haven't install a Data gateway. You need download it in here and install the Gateway.

Here are a few things to consider before installing the gateway.

• If you are installing on a laptop, and your laptop is turned off, not connected to the internet, or asleep the gateway won’t work and the data in the cloud service will not be synchronized with your on-premises data.
  • If your machine is connected to a wireless network, the gateway may perform more slowly which will cause it to take longer to synchronize the data in the cloud service with your on-premises data.

You could have a good look at this article about how to install Data Gateway.

After you configured the Gateway, you could add the data source and then you could refresh your dataset in Power BI Service.

For further, you could have a reference of Manage Gateway.

Best Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the links @v-piga-msft

But just wondering if creating this gateway (on-premisis) will have any implications/restrictions with the other gateways or connections in the work place? 

And this gateway only applies to my data source connection?

Hi @MissMintox,

Actually, with the on-premises gateways, we could keep our data fresh by connecting to the on-premises data sources without the need to move the data. 

Normally, the gateway creates an outbound connection to Azure Service Bus. It communicates on outbound ports: TCP 443 (default), 5671, 5672, 9350 thru 9354.  

But just wondering if creating this gateway (on-premisis) will have any implications/restrictions with the other gateways or connections in the work place? 

If the port of your other Gateway in your work place is not the same as the port of Power BI Gateway , there should be no conflicts.

For further, you could have a view of On-premises data gateway in-depth.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.