Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

croberts

Unable to open power BI file - we weren't able to restore the saved database to the model

Hi,

I'm trying to open a power BI file I saved last week but keep getting the error in the title.  I am using Power Bi desktop version 2.58.5103.501 64bit.  I have tried the following to try and rectify the problem.

1. Uninstall and reinstall power BI desktop

2. Open the file into the Power BI service

3. Set a user variable "PBI_fastLoadSave" to false and try to open the file

There are no special characters in the file path and I am able to successfully open a Power BI file in the same folder.  I have also restored an earlier version of the file which also works.  The older version is missing some significant work though so I would rather get the most recent version working.

Does anyone have any suggestions to allow me to get the file to open.

Cheers,
Chris.

4 REPLIES 4
ricardoaltieri

Hi There,

My first post here. I had the same message and there was not receover copy of the PBIX file as it was successfully saved the day before.

I tryed everything suggest on the treads relting to this issue and nothing worked.

The only thing that worked was to change the file type extension from PBIX to PBIT and it opened and refresehd after open.

I am so happy I did not loose a day of really hard work that I join to share.

Cheers

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You could try renaming the file to .zip from .pbix and run a zip repair tool on it.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks Greg, tried that but unfortunatley no go.

Yeah, it's was definitely a long shot. Are you a Pro user? I would submit this as a support issue. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET". I know Charles Sterling and the team love to get corrupt PBIX files as it helps them find issues and make things more bulletproof in the future.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.