Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to open PBIX file on Power BI Desktop version

Hi,

I have a file that opens perfectly on Power BI's web version but not on the desktop version.

This is the error I am getting. 
Please help.

Feedback Type:

Frown (Error)

Error Message:

Requested value '()1' was not found.

Stack Trace:

System.ArgumentException

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError.HandleError(IWindowService windowService, LocalizedString title)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileOperationUIHandler.<OpenFileInternal>d__30.MoveNext()

--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<HandleAwaitableAsyncExceptions>d__1.MoveNext()

Stack Trace Message:

Requested value '()1' was not found.

Invocation Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<HandleException>b__0()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Utilities.UIBlockingAwareExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<HandleAwaitableAsyncExceptions>d__1.MoveNext()

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder.Start[TStateMachine](TStateMachine& stateMachine)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleAwaitableAsyncExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Func`1 asyncFunc)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Commands.CompositeCommand`1.Execute(ICommand command, Object parameter)

at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.Commands.CompositeCommand.Execute(Object parameter)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Commands.CompositeCommand`1.Execute(T parameter)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)

at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)

at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.WindowManager.ShowModal[T](T dialog, Func`1 showModalFunction)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass4_1.<Main>b__2()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

PowerBINonFatalError:

{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.105.923.0","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError","Error":"System.ArgumentException","MethodDef":"HandleError","ErrorOffset":"201"}

Snapshot Trace Logs:

C:\Users\MuhammadKhan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\FrownSnapShot84360fd4-05fb-4b0b-b95e-655d424fe048.zip

Model Default Mode:

Empty

Model Version:

PowerBI_V1

Performance Trace Logs:

C:\Users\MuhammadKhan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\PerformanceTraces.zip

Enabled Preview Features:

PBI_enableWebView2

PBI_mobileAuthoringFormattingUI

PBI_useModernFormatPane

PBI_sparklines

Disabled Preview Features:

PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled

PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled

PBI_qnaLiveConnect

PBI_azureMapVisual

PBI_compositeModelsOverAS

PBI_enhancedTooltips

PQ_WebView2Connector

PBI_scorecardVisual

PBI_lineChartError

PBI_fieldParametersSuperSwitch

Disabled DirectQuery Options:

TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:

GlobalCloud

PowerBIUserFeedbackServices_IsReported:

True

Formulas:

section Section1;

11 REPLIES 11
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

Your desktop version must not be a 64 bit version, a 32 bit version won't open your file

this is the last version

aj1973_0-1654285606515.png

check out yours.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you AJ, for the suggestion.

My version is the same as you have mentioned. 

Do you think of any other reason, why the desktop version is not opening the PBIX, whereas the web version can open it without a problem?

Thanks... Muhammad 

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

Because the report was initially developped with a 64 Bit Power bi desktop and then was published. When you wanted to download it and open it with a 32 bit desktop , this late couldn't accept it.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @aj1973 

I tried opening it with 64 bit version as well but it still gives the same error.

How do I make this file work with 64 bit versions?

Appreciate your help.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

Tried to open what kind of file? What type of connection? How did you get the file? Can you share it, so I can take a look?

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @aj1973 

I was replying to your message:

"Because the report was initially developped with a 64 Bit Power bi desktop and then was published. When you wanted to download it and open it with a 32 bit desktop , this late couldn't accept it."

I meant I tried to open the same PBIX file. Is there a way to be able to use this PBIX file or all my work done in it is lost?

Please let me know if you'd like to have a zoom call to discuss this.

Appreciate your help. 

Thanks... Muhammad

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

Your desktop power bi have a version problem... uninstall it, restart your PC and re install a clean version them try again.

Also try this  Open a blank BI Desktop and use the Open option in the file menu to open your pbix's.  Annoying but it could work

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @aj1973 

Still the same problem.
I think the issue is the same as you mentioned.
I opened it in Pro and now it cannot be opened in the desktop version.
Not sure if there is a workaround.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aj1973 

Can you please help me with this?

Or do you know anybody who can help me with this? 

Samarth_18
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please try after enabling below options from the PBI desktop option settings.

Samarth_18_0-1654234258277.png

Samarth_18_1-1654234294196.png

BR,

Samarth

Best Regards,
Samarth

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Appreciate your Kudos!!
Connect on Linkedin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @Samarth_18 

I checked those boxes but it still gives error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.