Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

aloxaz
Frequent Visitor

Unable to load big ".xaf" file

Hallo everyone,

I aiming to load a ".xaf" file in Power BI desktop. Due to the file size, 3GB, it is takes for ages. Is it a way to load such a big file without taking so long? As far as i know DirectQuery is not supported for ".xaf" or ".xml" files.

Any suggetion will be appreciated.  

3 REPLIES 3
johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@aloxaz 

Loading a 3GB ".xaf" file directly into Power BI Desktop can indeed be time-consuming due to the file size. DirectQuery may not be supported for ".xaf" or ".xml" files, as you mentioned. However, you have a few alternatives to consider:

1. **Optimize the File**: Before loading the file into Power BI Desktop, consider optimizing it to reduce its size. This could involve removing unnecessary data, compressing the file, or splitting it into smaller files if possible.

2. **Use Power Query Editor**: If the ".xaf" file contains structured data, you can use Power Query Editor to perform data transformation and filtering operations before loading the data into Power BI Desktop. This can help reduce the amount of data being loaded and speed up the process.

3. **Incremental Loading**: If the data in the ".xaf" file is regularly updated or appended, consider implementing incremental loading techniques. This involves loading only the new or changed data since the last refresh, rather than reloading the entire dataset each time. However, this may require additional setup and infrastructure.

4. **Use Power BI Service**: If your dataset is hosted in the cloud, consider using Power BI Service instead of Power BI Desktop for data analysis. Power BI Service can handle larger datasets more efficiently, and you can connect directly to your data source without needing to load the entire file onto your local machine.

5. **Optimize Hardware**: If possible, consider using a machine with higher processing power and memory when loading large files into Power BI Desktop. This can help speed up the data loading process.

6. **Consider Alternative Tools**: If Power BI Desktop continues to struggle with loading the large ".xaf" file, you may need to explore alternative data visualization tools that are better suited for handling large datasets.

By exploring these options, you should be able to optimize the loading process and improve the performance of loading a 3GB ".xaf" file into Power BI Desktop.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

I have already zip the ".xaf" file but i do not know if it is possible to load the zipped file. 

Hi @aloxaz , The following blogs may be helpful:

Working With Zip Files in Power Query - Microsoft Fabric Community

Get data from ZIP files in Power Query – Curbal

Best Regards,
Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Appreciate your Kudos!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.