Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

romals29
Helper II
Helper II

Unable to connect to Mysql DB server .

Hi

I have remote mysql DB server and I am trying to connect in power bi desktop and getting below error.

Details: "MySQL: Host 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server"

It shows my public ip and saying its not allowed, but I can connect in Mysqlworkbench.

May you please help me to fix this.

Thank You

Romal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
romals29
Helper II
Helper II

Hi All

I have found the solution for this.

1. creating AWS instance in the remote server that would allow to have direct connection but this may cost you in future.

2. Creating and granting full access to the public ip address that blocking you. If you are using your own network then should access through the VPN. 

romals29_0-1659610073465.png

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
romals29
Helper II
Helper II

Hi All

I have found the solution for this.

1. creating AWS instance in the remote server that would allow to have direct connection but this may cost you in future.

2. Creating and granting full access to the public ip address that blocking you. If you are using your own network then should access through the VPN. 

romals29_0-1659610073465.png

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Uninstall the 8.0.29 driver and install 8.0.28 instead

Hi Ibendlin

Will this solve my problem?

May I know what's the reason 

Thank You

Hi Ibendlin

As I checked I haven't installed 8.0.29 driver on my machine.

Anyhow I installed MySQL Connector Net8.0.28 driver and tried but still no luck 

In workbench I have done SSH set up but in power bi, we don't have the facility to do SSH setting. Is this causing the issue? If so how to fix it?

Thank you 

That is correct, Power BI needs a direct connection to the data source. It can be encrypted but it can't be tunnelled. 

Hi Ibendlin

Thank you for the reply.

In that case we can't use SSH tunnelling in power bi but in my case our DB server is configured in the way to access to SSH.

May you please help me to find a workaround for this.

Thank You

Romal

Hi @romals29 

Currently Power BI desktop doesn't support SSH setting for MySQL database. You can vote up a related idea at MySQL over SSH connection . In addition, a user provided a solution with ODBC driver in comment area on that idea's page, you can give it a try. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

Hi

I have some grey areas on this. Please clarify me on below two concerns.

I set up the putty connection and set as localhost:3306 in destination.

1. When I set up the ODBC when I give localhost under TCP/IP then it refers my already existing local DB not the remote server that I set in the putty.

2. Next issue is how this will work when I publish the reports to the server? Everytime should I keep maintain the putty connection on my local? 

Thank You

I am not aware of any way to avoid the direct connection requirement.  Short of setting up a VPN that is on all the time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.