Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to connect to MySQL over SSL

Hello.

I have a MySLQ running on a CentOS server with SSL enabled and it require SSL in order to connect to the databases. I created the certificates and keys using OpenSSL, getting this files:

• ca.pem
  • ca-key.pem
  • client-cert-pem
  • client-key-pem
  • server-cert.pem
  • server-key.pem

Setup MySQL with this:

ssl-ca=/etc/certs/ca.pem 
ssl-cert=/etc/certs/server-cert.pem
ssl-key=/etc/certs/server-key.pem
bind-address=*require_secure_transport=ON

I created a user that require X509 on the MySLQ by using:

CREATE USER 'user'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY '<password>' REQUIRE X509;

Testing with the MySQL client on console and MySQL Workbench providing the client certificates and it works fine. Also works on a Java App that writes/reads the databases by importing certifitates to the keytores/trustores.

However, I cannot set up Power Bi Desktop version to connect to the MySQL server. I imported the certificates to the Trusted Root Autenticathion Authorities and a PKCS12 keystore and trustore (used also by the Java App). This image shows the certificate. It is in Spanish, but it says it has also the key and it is verified by the ca.pem.

I followed this to import the certificates, but doesn't work.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/es-es/blog/ssl-security-error-with-data-source/

However there is not much more information about how to properly connect to MySQL with SSL (or I cannot find it).

The message I get on Power Bi is "We were unable to authenticate you with the credentials provided. Try again."

Disabling SSL allows me to connect to the databases using Power Bi, without any issue, it is the SSL what doesn't work as I don't know how to properly provide the certificates and I cannot find anything that decribes the process.

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , have used the latest MSQL net driver

https://www.mysql.com/products/connector/

Anonymous
Not applicable

I already have the lastest version installed. I can connect if I disable SSL. What doesn't work is connect over SSL

Edit: To be more specific, I cannot connect with accounts that obligatory require certificates (REQUIRE X509).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.