Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Charlie42
Frequent Visitor

UNION dax function "merges" the column ?

Hi all,

I have a strange working of UNION() dax function.

I have two identical tables with the same columns in the same order. The only difference is about the period : 

• table #1 : sales on 2024
  • table #2 : sales on 2023

For example:

employeesales
employee1sales1
employee2sales2

For each of these tables, the column "sales" is in a "decimal number" format.

I need to merge these tables, so I do :

GlobaTable = UNION (Table1, Table2)

But when I did that :

• the column "sales" is transformed in a Text format
  • when I want change the format to "decimal number", I have a error message that says it's impossible to change "employee1" to a decimal format...

Strange, no ?

Do you have a tip to help me ?

Thank you in advance.

Charlie.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for this Information.

Here is a Tip for this problem. 

In case of Union ( In Power BI or in SQL), the tables selected must have columns in same Order.

For Example: If you are Appending two Tables Table A and Table B with columns

Table A: Column A, Column B, Column C....

Table B: Column A, Column C, Column B....

Then before union Table A and Table B you must reorder Table B columns as per Table A or Vice-Versa.

I hope this will resolve your error.

Please let me know in case it doesn't resolve your problem.

Thanks and Regards

Shalabh Kushwaha

gbuedu@gmail.com

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
ShalabhKush
Regular Visitor

Hi @Charlie42 : Can you please check for the value which is shown in Error message into Columns and tell us in which column does it reside.

Thanks and Regards

Shalabh Kushwaha

(For Power BI help connect: gbuedu@gmail.com)

Hi @ShalabhKush ,

Here the entirety of tables (3 tables are the same column in the same order) :

Charlie42_0-1714635417438.png

Regarding the value which is shown in the Error message, it can be in [Employee], [Employee (priv)], [Sales Employee], [MD Sales Employee].

I have this issue with others columns. For example, inside [Employee] I have the values of [Product Search]

Here is a screenshot after using union: 

ShalabhKush_0-1714637187121.png

Screenshot for Sales1 and Sales2 tables with same order columns.

ShalabhKush_1-1714637244320.png

ShalabhKush_2-1714637268518.png

@Charlie42  please ensure that Columns are in Same Order in all the tables included in union. Otherwise result will not be as expected.

Thanks for this Information.

Here is a Tip for this problem. 

In case of Union ( In Power BI or in SQL), the tables selected must have columns in same Order.

For Example: If you are Appending two Tables Table A and Table B with columns

Table A: Column A, Column B, Column C....

Table B: Column A, Column C, Column B....

Then before union Table A and Table B you must reorder Table B columns as per Table A or Vice-Versa.

I hope this will resolve your error.

Please let me know in case it doesn't resolve your problem.

Thanks and Regards

Shalabh Kushwaha

gbuedu@gmail.com

Hi,

I just checked and indeed with this view (see below) I can get that the order of the columns are not the same even if the the requests to get data from source are the same.

Charlie42_0-1714650973523.png

So, I should use SELECTCOLUMNS() in my UNION(). Right ? Maybe is there easier way to do that ?

[EDIT] I can use Table.ReorderColumns in my query. I'll try this. Thank.

Thank you for your messages.

Yes, if you are a pro DAX user. Then you can achieve by using SELECTEDCOLUMNS. In the below format. CombinedTable = UNION ( SELECTCOLUMNS ( Table1, "Column1", [ColumnA], "Column2", [ColumnB] ), SELECTCOLUMNS ( Table2, "Column1", [ColumnX], "Column2", [ColumnY] ) ) Thanks and Regards Shalabh Kushwaha
Charlie42
Frequent Visitor

Hi to both,

@lbendlin , thank for your message. Sorry, it's a mistake in my words... my need is well to get a table with the data of Table#1 and the data of Table#2

@v-yiruan-msft ,

My both tables get the information in a common database. So, I'm sure that the field [Sales] only contains numeric values.

For limiting the consumption of the memories during the auto-refresh of my report:

• I created a request to get information from 01.01.2024 to 31.03.2024 and I exclude that in the autorefresh
  • I copied this request and I changed the date (from 01.04.2024 to 31.05.2024) and I keep that in the autorefresh.
  • I used UNION() to get a common table.

Charlie42_1-1714630442549.png   Charlie42_2-1714630465165.png  

But here, I notice that the data type of the field [Sales] in the new table is not Decimal Numeric.

Charlie42_3-1714630498993.png

If I want change, I have this error message : 

Charlie42_0-1714630279156.png

I check my values in the field [Sales] and indeed, the name of the employee is inside...

I don't understand...

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@lbendlin  Thanks for your contribution on this thread.

Hi @Charlie42 ,

The UNION() function in DAX combines two or more tables with the same structure into a single table. When you use UNION(), the resulting table will have the same column names and data types as the first table in the argument list. Are you trying to change the data type of field [Sales] from Text type to Decimal Number and it got the above error message? If yes, please ensure that the field [Sales] in both tables only contains numeric values. If there are any non-numeric values (like “employee1”), you’ll need to clean your data.

In addition,  you can provide some sample data in Table1 and Table2 (exclude the sensitive data) and the expected result. Later we will provide you the solution. Thank you.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

UNION is not a merge, it is an append.  Most likely the column order does not match between the two tables.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.