Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tutorial Request: Cumulative Sum by Date

Hi all,

I've done some searching and find myself struggling with a cummulative sum.  I was hoping someone here might be able to help me out.  Imagine you have data organized as follows:

DateProjectAmountDescription
01/01/2020#1$25January Invoice
02/01/2020#1$100February Invoice
03/01/2020#1$150March Invoice
03/01/2020#2$300March Invoice

I want to build a table/graph with time on x-axis and cumulative  sum on the y-axis.  For example, it would show $25 on 1/1/2020 and $125 for Project #1 in January and February, respectfully.  Whereas it would show $300 for Project #2 in March.

Any help would be much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for the help.  Unfortunately, the best I could get with these formulas was to return a few random sums, but not a cumulative.

After much struggling and guessing, I was able to figure it out.  For others curious, this is the working code:

column = calculate(sumx(filter(ALLSELECTED('Transactions: Invoice Details'),'Transactions: Invoice Details'[ProjectID]=max('Transactions: Invoice Details'[ProjectID]) && 'Transactions: Invoice Details'[Invoice Date]<=max('Transactions: Invoice Details'[Invoice Date])),[Billed/Credit Amount]))

I can't explain why the other solution without using ALLSELECTED() would not work.  It looks like it should.  I don't know DAX all that well, but I need to look more into this calculate function.  It seemed to be a key component in fixing my issue.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

Typical running total measure is something like:

measure = Calculate(Sum([Amount]), Filter(All(table), Table[Date]<=Max(Table[Date]))
OR
measure = Calculate (Sum([Amount]),Filter(All[Table), Sumx(filter(table,earlier([Date])<=[Date] && earlier([Project])=[Project]),1))

In case if you need running total by Project: 

measure = Calculate(Sum([Amount]), Filter(All(table), Table[Date]<=Max(Table[Date]) && [Project]=MAX([Project])
OR 
measure = Calculate (Sum([Amount]),Filter(All[Table), Sumx(filter(table,earlier([Date])<=[Date] && earlier([Project])=[Project]),1))

Correct me if i missed any brackets.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for the help.  Unfortunately, the best I could get with these formulas was to return a few random sums, but not a cumulative.

After much struggling and guessing, I was able to figure it out.  For others curious, this is the working code:

column = calculate(sumx(filter(ALLSELECTED('Transactions: Invoice Details'),'Transactions: Invoice Details'[ProjectID]=max('Transactions: Invoice Details'[ProjectID]) && 'Transactions: Invoice Details'[Invoice Date]<=max('Transactions: Invoice Details'[Invoice Date])),[Billed/Credit Amount]))

I can't explain why the other solution without using ALLSELECTED() would not work.  It looks like it should.  I don't know DAX all that well, but I need to look more into this calculate function.  It seemed to be a key component in fixing my issue.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - Perhaps:

Cumulative Amount Column =
  SUMX(FILTER('Table',[Project] = EARLIER([Project]) && [Date] <= EARLIER([Date])),[Amount])

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.