Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

comish4lif2
Advocate II
Advocate II

Trying to Save. Nothing Happens.

I had a crash on my virtual machine earlier in the day - a Webview2 issue. A few large SAS files probably contributed to the issue.

I rebooted the virtual device and started Power BI. I opened the recovered file and spent the afternoon refreshing my data files. I was able to save around 5:12PM EST. I continued and refreshed 2 of the largest data sources.

Now, when I try to save, nothing happens. Click Save, nothing happens. Click Publish - get prompted to save, click Yes, nothing happens. Try to Save As, nothing happens. I even decided to just close the application, and click yes to save, nothing happens. The file should end up being around 2.3GB

What do I mean by nothing happens - no dialog box for saving or progress bar. Nothing.

At this point, I'm ready to just close and go back to my 512PM save point. Ugh.

Has anyone ever seen this? Is there a way around this?

6 REPLIES 6
v-zhengdxu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @comish4lif2 

Just as @mahenkj2 post that given the large size of your Power BI file (around 2.3GB), it's possible that the application is struggling with memory or resource constraints, especially in a virtual machine environment. Consider breaking down your data model or using aggregations to reduce the file size.

Also make sure that your virtual machine has sufficient resources (RAM, CPU) allocated to it. Power BI's performance, especially with large datasets, can be significantly impacted by the available system resources.
Links for your reference:

Handling large datasets in Power BI

Troubleshoot the Power BI add-in for PowerPoint - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, I've been using this VM for at least a year and never had issues before - and this is a monthly refresh, so, it shouldn't be significantly larger than previous versions.

Right now, it won't even support a Save As to save it in a differnt location.

Hi @comish4lif2 

That's sound like a bug, please consider creating a support ticket to get the real-time support, which can help you solve your issue more efficiently and faster.

These links can help you:

How to create a Fabric and Power BI Support ticket - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Power Platform admin center (microsoft.com)

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

It would be great if that was a link to file a support ticket.

But it is just a link to a description with 14 other steps to try before I can create a ticket.

Hi @comish4lif2 

This link is the support ticket’s entry point:

Power Platform admin center (microsoft.com)

You need at least a pro licence.

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu

mahenkj2
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @comish4lif2 

Not sure if it works. You can try reducing the size of the file by making some changes in power query to filter out most rows temporarily, just to make very lighter and test save or save as.

Couple of time, I have seen issue with power bi sign in in desktop, so log out and check internet connectivity and then sign in again.

Hope it helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.