Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

timazarj
Helper II
Helper II

Transfer [h]:mm:ss duration to PBI

Hi,

Some of the columns in my excel source are in [h]:mm: ss format:

timazarj_0-1655383424854.png

when I transferred to PBI, it appeared as :

timazarj_1-1655383664358.png

I already tried to transfer the column to Time only. But It changed all the hours from 1 to 24. example: 126:05:18 changed to "1900-01-05 6:05:18"

I also tried extracting the hours in excel using the HOUR function, but it only returns the hour between 1 and 24.

I would appreciate it if anybody could help me figure out how to keep the duration as it is. 

3 REPLIES 3
v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @timazarj 

I just want to confirm if you resolved this issue? If yes, you can accept the answer helpful as the solution or share you method and accept it as solution, thanks for your contribution to improve Power BI.

If you need more help, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

The corresponding native data type in PQ is duration; but it doesn't display more than 24h,

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMja3MjawMjVVitWJVjI0MrMyMLUytFCKjQUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Total Time" = _t]),
    Duration = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Dur", each let l=List.Transform(Text.Split([Total Time], ":"), Number.From) in #duration(0,l{0},l{1},l{2}), type duration)
in
    Duration

CNENFRNL_0-1655392027500.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

rsbin
Super User
Super User

@timazarj ,

Power BI obviously does not handle this time format well.

The way I handle this is to convert your Duration to Seconds in your source table.

In Power BI, you can then use a DAX formula to convert Seconds back into your hh:mm:ss format with DAX.

I don't have this at my fingertips at the moment, but can provide to you later today....if you are unable find something on this Board.

Hope this gets you pointed in the right direction.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.