Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

encamped1
Frequent Visitor

Total Not Calculating Right in Matrix

Hello Community,

I'm pretty new to Power BI and still struggling with calculating totals correctly in Matrix. 

In the sample dataset, I want the "Total" column in the matrix to always represent the sum of the values displayed above it in the matrix. Instead of calculating the distinct count of the backend data based on the selected values in the "Year" and "Region" slicers, I would like it to show the actual sum. For instance, the total distinct count for the year 2017 should be 1652, not the visual representation of 693. 

Sample.pbix

I've tried with a Switch function but it wasn't working as intended. Is this something that I can achieve with it or should I use a different function? 

5 REPLIES 5
v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @encamped1 

You can create two measures

Measure = SUMX(VALUES(Orders[State]),[Measure 2])
Measure 2 = DISTINCTCOUNT(Orders[Customer ID])

Then put the measure to the matrix

vxinruzhumsft_0-1684128715478.png

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xinruzhu-msft ,

thanks for the comment! It worked as it was intended but is it possible to combine the two measures that you created into one? I've tried by creating the first measure as a variable in the second measure however somehow the total row calculation was off and I had no idea what was going on. In my workbook I have dozens of measures that I need to update with this logic and I just didn't want to create another set just for this. 

thank you for the help! 

Hi @encamped1 

You can use the following measure

Measure = var a=SUMMARIZE(VALUES(Orders[State]),[State],"distinct",DISTINCTCOUNT(Orders[Customer ID]))
return SUMX(FILTER(a,[State] in VALUES(Orders[State])),[distinct])

vxinruzhumsft_0-1684199730162.png

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xinruzhu-msft 

You're the best!

One last ask - can we create a single measure that would work more dynamically? i.e. if the State realted contents in the matrix, show the sumx of the States, if a Matrix has the category field as a row, show the sumx of the sub-category based total at the bottom of the table,, etc. 

Hi @encamped1 

You can use isincope() function to judge, you can refer to the following link.

ISINSCOPE function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.