Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JakeandSnake
Frequent Visitor

To Show the latest Status based on Columns Value

Hi Experts,

I have one table as below:

JakeandSnake_1-1629709448488.png

Conditions:

1. In reality, I have thousands of projects. More than 500K rows. 

2. I have a lot of steps, could be 30 steps columns.

Expectation:

I want to have a column to show the farthest step name with the value "TRUE", something like below. Basically to show the latest status of each project.

JakeandSnake_2-1629709799103.png

Anyone can help? 

Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @JakeandSnake ,

for the example you provided it worked 😉

Rename the columns to give the step an order and put the number first, then it will work:

selimovd_0-1629714980488.png

And the result:

selimovd_1-1629715011494.png

When you have more than 10 columns make sure you have the same amount of numbers at the beginning everywhere:

selimovd_2-1629715197108.png

selimovd_3-1629715216528.png

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @JakeandSnake ,

that's possible in Power Query. For that unpivot the other columns, remove the FALSE ones and then GROUP BY the MAX of the Status column.

Check my example:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcnR0VNJRCgkKdcWg3Bx9gl2VYnWilZycnOB8XDRInbOzMy7DwBRIjYuLCw6b4CbFAgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Project = _t, #"Step 1" = _t, #"Step 2" = _t, #"Step 3" = _t, #"Step 4" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Project", type text}, {"Step 1", type logical}, {"Step 2", type logical}, {"Step 3", type logical}, {"Step 4", type logical}}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Project"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", each ([Value] = true)),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Filtered Rows", {"Project"}, {{"MaxStep", each List.Max([Attribute]), type text}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

In my example the initial table looks like this:

selimovd_0-1629710964011.png

And the final result will look like this:

selimovd_1-1629710997187.png

If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Hi @selimovd ,

Thanks for your advice. 

I assume your last step is to group by the MAX of the "Attribute" column. 

And I guess it works because the status columns are named sequentially " Step 1", Step 2"...

However, when I tried mine, which status columns are totally words like "Step ABC", "Step BCD"...The results were not accurate. Any idea? 

Hey @JakeandSnake ,

for the example you provided it worked 😉

Rename the columns to give the step an order and put the number first, then it will work:

selimovd_0-1629714980488.png

And the result:

selimovd_1-1629715011494.png

When you have more than 10 columns make sure you have the same amount of numbers at the beginning everywhere:

selimovd_2-1629715197108.png

selimovd_3-1629715216528.png

Best regards
Denis

Thanks~ It works for me now!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.