Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

szub
Helper III
Helper III

Time fields in Power BI display 5 hours behind the source data

Hello,

I am having an issue with time fields displaying 5 hours behind the source data in Power BI reports.  I have checked the regional settings and they are correct.  For example, the time on a record in source data is showing 4:00pm and in Power BI it is showing 11:00am or it may show 7:00am in the source data and in Power BI is shows 2:00am.  I am not doing anything to caluculate time, I am just trying to report the time as listed on the source data.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @szub ,

Because Power BI service operates in the UTC time zone, and evaluates all locale based time functions in that time zone. Power BI Desktop evaluates them according to the locale of the user.

There are two workarounds for this situation;
In Power BI Desktop:

On your powerBi desktop, go to File ==> Options and Settings ==> Options

On the dialog opened, select Reginal Settings under current file

Change the Locale for import to the English (your own country)

In Power BI Service:

use a fuction such as NOW()+TIME(8,0,0)

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @szub ,

Because Power BI service operates in the UTC time zone, and evaluates all locale based time functions in that time zone. Power BI Desktop evaluates them according to the locale of the user.

There are two workarounds for this situation;
In Power BI Desktop:

On your powerBi desktop, go to File ==> Options and Settings ==> Options

On the dialog opened, select Reginal Settings under current file

Change the Locale for import to the English (your own country)

In Power BI Service:

use a fuction such as NOW()+TIME(8,0,0)

Best regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Binbin Yu,

I appreciate the info.  I had checked the regional settings and they were correct in Power BI Desktop.  I can't figure out how to add the function to Power BI service though.  Can you give me some guidance on that?

Thank you!

Hi @szub ,

Please add this function in the Power BI Desktop firstly, then save the report and publish it to the Power BI Service.

Best regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Binbin Yu,

I got this to work, but only if a time is populated. If a time was not populated in the field, I am getting 5am when it is blank in the source record.  Since it is a time field I the Replace Value I can only enter 00:00 or 0 in place of null, and then it updates to 12:00am. 

Thank you

Hi @v-binbinyu-msft,

Do you have any suggestions on what to do when the date fields are blank from the source record and populate a value because of the Now & Time function?

Thank you,

szub

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

The Power BI service operates on UTC.

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
------------------------------------------------
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.