Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Table relationships with columns that have multiple responses.

Very good, I hope you are well, and I thank you in advance for the time.

I have a file that I got through a survey, in this one we had multiple choice questions (e.g. what colors do you like? R/= blue, black, light blue, purple). That is why we obtained some columns with this format separated by commas, but it has generated problems when it comes to making the relationships; I could well divide the column using the comma "," as a reference, but this would complicate the relationships even more, since I cannot make relationships between several columns and I would have to create a table for each extra column.

Is there a method for power bi to recognize multiple responses as individual responses, without needing to separate the columns? I need, for example, to recognize the box "Nike, Adidas" as two separate answers "Nike", "Adidas", but without having to divide it into columns, and not as one.

Then I show the format of the columns.

Original column:

alexisgarcia7_0-1664999986882.png

Separate columns in power bi:

alexisgarcia7_1-1665000064412.png

Thank you very much for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Syndicate_Admin ,

As far as I concerned, now Power BI does not support.

If none of the tables selected for the relationship has unique values, you'll see the following error: One of the columns must have unique values. At least one table in a relationship must have a distinct, unique list of key values, which is a common requirement for all relational database technologies.

If you encounter that error, there are a couple ways to fix the issue:

• Use Remove Duplicates to create a column with unique values. The drawback to this approach is that you might lose information when duplicate rows are removed; often a key (row) is duplicated for good reason.
  • Add an intermediary table made of the list of distinct key values to the model, which will then be linked to both original columns in the relationship.

For more information, see this blog post.

More details: Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Syndicate_Admin ,

As far as I concerned, now Power BI does not support.

If none of the tables selected for the relationship has unique values, you'll see the following error: One of the columns must have unique values. At least one table in a relationship must have a distinct, unique list of key values, which is a common requirement for all relational database technologies.

If you encounter that error, there are a couple ways to fix the issue:

• Use Remove Duplicates to create a column with unique values. The drawback to this approach is that you might lose information when duplicate rows are removed; often a key (row) is duplicated for good reason.
  • Add an intermediary table made of the list of distinct key values to the model, which will then be linked to both original columns in the relationship.

For more information, see this blog post.

More details: Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.