Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

tgiorgi

Summary email for refresh successes and failures for a number of Power BI Reports

Hi,

I have a Power BI Dashboard, with a set of Power BI Reports that have semantic models with refresh schedules.

Currently, if a report fails its scheduled refresh, then I will receive an email notification confirming this. However, if this takes place, it often occurs for one more than report, which is time consuming, as I have a review each email to see what reports have not refreshed.

Therefore, I was wondering if there is a Power BI feature, that summarises all the reports in a dasboard in a single email, stating the reports that have successfully refreshed, and the reports that have failed their scheduled refresh?

Also, my second question is if there is an automated feature in Power BI that allows for a second refresh, which is triggered if the report fails its scheduled refresh?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tgiorgi ,

Thanks @lbendlin  for the quick reply. I have a few additions:

1.Power BI does not provide a built-in feature that consolidates all refresh activities (successes and failures) into a single summary email for reports and dashboards. Notifications for refresh failures are sent individually to the semantic model owner or specified additional recipients.

However, you can leverage Power BI's API to programmatically monitor refresh activities. By using the Power BI REST API, you can retrieve the refresh history of your datasets.

Power BI Premium capacities offer a refresh summary page in the Power BI Admin portal. As an administrator, you can access this page to gain insights into your refresh schedules, capacities, and potential overlaps.

2.Unfortunately, Power BI does not natively provide an automated second refresh triggered specifically by a failed scheduled refresh. However, you can implement a workaround using Power Automate.

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tgiorgi ,

Thanks @lbendlin  for the quick reply. I have a few additions:

1.Power BI does not provide a built-in feature that consolidates all refresh activities (successes and failures) into a single summary email for reports and dashboards. Notifications for refresh failures are sent individually to the semantic model owner or specified additional recipients.

However, you can leverage Power BI's API to programmatically monitor refresh activities. By using the Power BI REST API, you can retrieve the refresh history of your datasets.

Power BI Premium capacities offer a refresh summary page in the Power BI Admin portal. As an administrator, you can access this page to gain insights into your refresh schedules, capacities, and potential overlaps.

2.Unfortunately, Power BI does not natively provide an automated second refresh triggered specifically by a failed scheduled refresh. However, you can implement a workaround using Power Automate.

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

if a report fails its scheduled refresh,

Reports do not refresh. Semantic Models do refresh.

all the reports in a dasboard

not sure what you mean by that. dashboards do not contain reports. They contain tiles that may be sourced from visuals or report pages, but not from "reports".

if there is an automated feature in Power BI that allows for a second refresh

The Power BI service is doing that already, up to four tries per refresh request.  you can see that in the refresh history details.

This is not necessarily a good thing, as it eats away your CUs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.