Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Martin_Hris
Regular Visitor

Sum of calculated column is wrong

I hope that you will understand this as I have written it back and forth and got a little bit lost.
I am trying to accomplish a simple task. Calculate the KPI's, how many Ci's per agent and technology we have in our support. I have list of CI's with solution specified, I need to count them, match them to a technology role, ci role and multiply the count of CI's by specified factor based on the ci role. Then I have a list of agents and each has a technology role. So just divide count of CI's multiplied by factor divided by count of agents supporting the technology.
I have 2 tables. One is containing configuration item data with various solutions (windows, unix etc.) I have 2nd table where I have list of all unique possible solutions, each is then mapped to it's own technology and based on technology the last column is normalization factor, which means that each CI is multiplied by this normalization factor.
Data looks like this
System name Solution name and some other columns with info about CI's.
dummy1         windows
dummy2         linux
dummy3         unix
2nd table is
Solution name      technology role              technology ci      normalization factor
windows               technology:windows       windows             1
linux                     technology:Linux/unix     linux                    1
unix                      technologyLinux./unix     unix                     2
I need simple thing. Count all distinct windows CI's and multiply by norm factor 1. Then do the same for all the solution, for Unix it's count of CI's * 2.
I thought that it would be easier to populate the norm factor to each server in 1st table, by creating calculated column
Column = RELATED(normf[Normalization factor])
This worked and each row in 1st table contains correct norm factor.
But when I try to create a new table and use sum of norm factor the results are like this
Technology RoleTechnology CICount of System NameNormalization factorColumn
Technology: Backupbackup14271138017
Technology: DatabaseDatabase - db2321114
Technology: DatabaseDatabase - Microsoft SQL Server196017768
Technology: DatabaseDatabase - Oracle140318968
Technology: DatabaseDatabase - Other DBMS442382
Technology: DatabaseOracle high availability & Storage instances​271.1996.39
Technology: SAP 1333  
Technology: StorageNAS Storage611184
Technology: StorageOther storage551158
Technology: StorageSAN storage79412388
Technology: StorageSAN switch5990.26463.06
Technology: Unix/Linux 506  
Technology: Unix/LinuxLinux11316133960
Technology: Unix/LinuxUnix8961.243224
Technology: Windows 1126  
Technology: WindowsHyper-V Host​1052.25708.75
Technology: WindowsVMWare Host​26212.2518029.25
Technology: WindowsWindows23068168854
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

After some more searching i think that I have  found a solution for the calculation

Distinct.normf.CI.count = [Distinct.CI.count]*MIN('Delivery Contract CI List'[norm.factor])
Where Distinct.CI.count is a measure and Delivery Contract CI List'[norm.factor] is a column. I found on the community forums that to have this multiplication working I have to use MIN, MAX for the column.
Now the numbers of CIs are calculated correctly I just need to go through this article, to fix the measeure totals.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yadongf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Martin_Hris ,

I am so glad to hear that your problem has been solved . Please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best regards,

Yadong Fang

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Martin_Hris When you say "create a new table and the results are like this" are you referring to a table in the data model, table visual or ?

Sorry, having trouble following, can you post sample data as text and expected output?
Not really enough information to go on, please first check if your issue is a common issue listed here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Before-You-Post-Read-This/ba-p/1116882

Also, please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

The most important parts are:
1. Sample data as text, use the table tool in the editing bar
2. Expected output from sample data
3. Explanation in words of how to get from 1. to 2.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

After some more searching i think that I have  found a solution for the calculation

Distinct.normf.CI.count = [Distinct.CI.count]*MIN('Delivery Contract CI List'[norm.factor])
Where Distinct.CI.count is a measure and Delivery Contract CI List'[norm.factor] is a column. I found on the community forums that to have this multiplication working I have to use MIN, MAX for the column.
Now the numbers of CIs are calculated correctly I just need to go through this article, to fix the measeure totals.

Thanks, I've spent quite a lot of time searching throught the articles. But righ now I finally understand where is the problem. I have a list of System names which are not unique and number o recurrences is based on how many activities we are supporting for the system.

Each of the system has a normalization factor assigned in its row using new custom column

Normf = RELATED(normf[Normalization factor])

Then I need to display distinct count of system names and sum of the normalization factors. But the sum of normalization factors calculated in not for distincs system names but it calculates the sum for all of them.

What I am trying to achieve look very simple. Do dictinct count of system names sorted by CI Technology and multiply this count by the normalization factor for this CI technology.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.