Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Oliver_Buchanan
Regular Visitor

Suggestions on emulating an excel table

My business wants a financial report in PowerBI that emulates an old excel format.

The report is just a table that shows different cost saving initiatives in the rows and then the amount saved each month. They also have in the first column (after the initiative names) the "projected annual saving". This projected annual saving is causing me some grief.

I've in my rows the "initiative name', then in my columns i have "month" and then in values i have a measure calculatin the amount saved by month, by initiative. The problem is every time i go to plug in a static value for our "projected annual savings" it shows this value against every month but i just want it coming up once.

I understand why its doing this, but i am wondering if there is any work arounds to get this projected annual savings static value to just show up once as its own column

5 REPLIES 5
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Oliver_Buchanan ,

I'm a little confused about your needs, Could you please explain them further? It would be good to provide a screenshot of the results you are expecting and desensitized example data.

Thanks for your efforts & time in advance.

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hey sure no worries, below is an example of the 'bootleg' solution i came up with. it's 2 matrix visuals overlayed on top of one another.

Oliver_Buchanan_1-1714527601989.png

Here is what i've got in one visual

Oliver_Buchanan_2-1714527663675.png

and here is the other 

Oliver_Buchanan_3-1714527676439.png

So you can see i have 2 measures in the Values field i want to display. When i try put them in a single visual i get the "potential Annual Savings" measure display a value for every month. But i just want it displayed once at the start(as its an annual saving not a monthly one).

Hi @Oliver_Buchanan ,

Please try below steps:

1. create a new table like below

vbinbinyumsft_0-1714547162298.png

2. add this new field to matrix column 

3. create a new measure with the existing two measures and add it to matrix value

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the suggestion, although that would work it wouldn't be utilising my date table properly. I think the problem is that the matrix visual just won't allow for an extra column to be set up like this so there is no ideal solution. Unless i found a custom visual

Oliver_Buchanan
Regular Visitor

So i found one workaround, but its not ideal. I just made another Matrix visual with the [Initiatives] in the rows again, but just the potential annual savings as the only value. then made the second table 100% transparent and left some space in my first matrix visual to allow me to overlay them. it gets the desired outcome, but is a bit awkward when a user starts trying to click around on things.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.