Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mterry
Helper V
Helper V

Succinct method to correct date

I have a data set with a column for year and another column for period which, when I receive it, is in the format 'YY-MMM' or 19-Jan. When Power Query automatically changes the fomat to date, it incorrectly uses the current year for every value, and the YY period as the day of the month, so 19-Jan get's converted to 1/19/2022. I have found ways to correct this but feel like it's more steps than necessary, so wondering if there's a succinct way to fix this whereby I essentially let Power Query convert to the incorrect date, then add a new column that replaces the year with the data from the Year column and makes it the end of or beginning of the month. Any suggestions on how to go about this? I've included snips of the formatting. Prior to power query conversionPrior to power query conversionafter conversion w/incorrect datesafter conversion w/incorrect dates

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mterry
Helper V
Helper V

Okay after some playing around here's what worked:

#"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type2", "Period", each Text.From(Date.Month([Fiscal Period])) & "/" & Text.From(Date.Day(Date.EndOfMonth([Fiscal Period]))) & "/" & Text.From([Fiscal Year])),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom1",{{"Period", type date}})

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mterry
Helper V
Helper V

Okay after some playing around here's what worked:

#"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type2", "Period", each Text.From(Date.Month([Fiscal Period])) & "/" & Text.From(Date.Day(Date.EndOfMonth([Fiscal Period]))) & "/" & Text.From([Fiscal Year])),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom1",{{"Period", type date}})

mterry
Helper V
Helper V

That won't really work - it's combining the fiscal period which is in either YY-MMM format as text or M/D/YYYY format as a date, but with the incorrect year, with the correct year column.

lance_6
Helper II
Helper II

I would do this in the PQ editor. Here's generally the code you'd need to add. 

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "dd_mm_yyyy", each [#"Fiscal Period"] & "-" &[#"Fiscal Year"]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom",{{"dd_mm_yyyy", type date}})

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.