Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mamodeo
Regular Visitor

Storing Value from a selected value in a Matrix

I've used a Matrix to simulate a tree view for viewing a Bill of Material hierarchy, but it's rather clunky with 8 separate tables providing the source for the matrix.

BillOfMaterials.png

Matrix Rows.png

I'm trying to use the selected item number from the matrix as the filter value for other visuals on the report. I can successfully pull the value in a measure, but I can reference that value in filtering the other visuals. I'm rather new to PowerBI and any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
mamodeo
Regular Visitor

The above solution didn't work. What I'm attempting to do simply might not be possible in Power BI, but the flexibility of a Tree View for the user interaction is something that I need to dig deeper into. The filtered values passed to the other visuals on my report are as such:

mamodeo_0-1698840270749.png

and I simply need to capture and use the ChildItem as a filter value.

audreygerred
Super User
Super User

By default, the interaction between visuals is to cross-highlight, but you can change that through Edit Interactions in the Modeling tab of the ribbon, and switch it to filter, that way if you select a row in your matrix it will filter the other visuals on the page rather than cross-highlighting.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-reports-visual-interactions 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.