Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Tom_G
Helper II
Helper II

Stop slicer impacting a measure

Hi - I'd like to stop a slicer from impacting a measure in a specific case and can't work out how to do this. I've looked at many other posts on this and didn't find a solution yet.

I have a table as below. In reality there are more customer groups and names and other columns.

Customer Group    Customer Name        Amount by Customer Group

A                                        Jack                               8.9

A                                        John                              8.9

B                                        Jim                              528.9
B                                        Jill                               528.9

C                                        Jane                         1818.92

C                                        Justin                        1818.92

I have slicers on Customer Group and Customer Name.

I have some measures built on top of one another to return the amount of 537.8 if Customer Group A AND B are selected in the slicer. They are;

Measure 1 = MAX(Table1[Amount by Customer Group])

Measure 2 = SUMX(DISTINCT(Table1[Customer Group]),[Measure 1])
Measure 3 = CALCULATE([Measure 2],ALLSELECTED(Table1))

The problem is that if I ALSO select John in the Customer Name slicer my measure returns 8.9 cause the measure is being sliced on Customer Name John. How can I get the measure to still return 537.8 if John is selected and Customer Group A and B are selected?

I've tried using the ALL function but to no avail. 

Any help much appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Tom_G 
You use ALL() in both measure 2 and measure 3, and not sure if you should use distinct(). Try:

Measure 2 = SUMX(ALL(Table1),[Measure 1])
Measure 3 = CALCULATE([Measure 2],ALL(Table1))

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @V-pazhen-msft thanks for responding.

I tried the above - it seems it makes the measure unresponsive to the Customer Group slicer as well as Customer Name. I was looking that the measure continued changing based on slicing of Customer Group. 

Thanks

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Tom_G 

You need to go to edit Edit Interaction, select the slicer then go to card and stop the filter.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Hi @aj1973, thanks for your answer. If I cancel the interactions between the slicer and visual then the visual does not filter down to John when Customer Name is selected. I need to keep this interaction, it's just the measure itself which should not change. Any way to do this with DAX?

Thanks

Tom_G
Helper II
Helper II

By following this video, I managed to stop completely the Customer Name slicer affecting the visual. Basically creating a disconnected table and an associated measure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEAwvMkpA8I

Technically that gets me 537.8 if John is selected and Customer Group A and B are selected.

However, I still wanted some interaction between Customer Name and the visual. The visual should still filter down to John when it is selected as a Customer Name, it's just that the measure should return 537.8.

Is that possible?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.