Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rig94

Splitting a column with multiple data

Hello,

I have some data i am currently working with that has the user and date combined together in one column the dates and user ids will change was wondering if there is a way to dyanmically extract some of this data. If not if i set it up to pick up the month and year is there a way to dynamically pick up the user.

The below is some dummy data that is similar to the original data im using, thanks.

rig94_0-1701947739147.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kleigh
Resolver III
Resolver III

Create a calc column, if(Text.StartsWith([Column1], "User") then [Column1] else null

Then use fill down to fill the null values:
Fill values in a column - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

Then delete the rows with null counts.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
rig94

Hello,

I actually found a way to do it similar as you put above but using contains then doing a few or options for the the year upto 2026 to make it more dynamic with the user id side as that was a demo and it wont always be user but a client name that can change. I then used downfill down on the client name left and filter blank rows out.

Example steps for anyone else attempting:
#"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Top Rows1", "Custom", each if Text.Contains([Column1], "2022") or Text.Contains([Column1], "2023") or Text.Contains([Column1], "2024") or Text.Contains([Column1], "2025") or Text.Contains([Column1], "2026") then null else [Column1]),
#"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Added Conditional Column",{"Custom"}),

kleigh
Resolver III
Resolver III

Create a calc column, if(Text.StartsWith([Column1], "User") then [Column1] else null

Then use fill down to fill the null values:
Fill values in a column - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

Then delete the rows with null counts.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.