Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorting a Matrix by Drilldown Columns

Greetings to all,

I am a fairly new user to powerBI and was working on creating a timeline.

I have created the timeline in a matrix using dax and conditional formatting. After this I wanted to add further information about the product and added further columns. To visualize it as a single line I turned off Stepped Layout from Row Headers.

The issue I have is that I cannot sort the matrix by the Type or Line column seen in the screenshot below, it can only be sorted by the first column.

Is there a way to sort drilldown columns in a matrix?

("Drilldown columns" may not be the appropriate definition but I didn't see a similar issue to mine so tried my best to describe it)

2021-09-23_09h29_46.png

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous try this simple trick: sort the first column by the drilldown column (or by an equivalent but unique column )

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @lbendlin, thank you for the response. This solution does a part of what I desire but not quite.

By doing this I can sort the column by another column, but then I can't re-sort it using a different one. I want to sort the matrix by clicking on the header, inside the report view. The end user should use it.

2021-09-27_08h28_56.png2021-09-27_08h30_44.png2021-09-27_08h30_34.png

So in the screenshots above I clicked on different header but could just sort by the first column. (Or the column which was used to sort the first.)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.