Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

JulianPayne_i4
Frequent Visitor

Slow connection to CosmosDB from PBI Desktop and Azure SSAS Tabular in VS

Hello,

I am using the native Power BI connector to connect to CosmosDB to a collection that is partitioned.

I am able to connect to the collection, navigate the complex objects within it (indexes etc) and create my tabular table from the JSON file strucutre.

There is an ISO DateTime that I want to filter on, and I have created a new DateTime column in my query without (much of an) issue - it is working.

My issue is: the model load is extremely slow. When I load the model in either Power BI Desktop or VS (i have made the same model twice in both tools so i can troubleshoot on both sides), the query runs for 30-60 minutes, or more, and is only returning between 10-100 records (depending on how tightly i restrict the datetime filter).

Both CosmosDB and Azure SSAS Tabular (1400 level) are supposed to be extremely fast for data reads, so I am not sure why the data loads/ model processing is taking so long. 

My queries are not overly complex, and I am filtering the data on a date (my original data set is 4.5 million rows) and I am pulling back less than 1,000.

I tried adding and index column and filtering on that (pull back only top 2000 rows) to see if it is the datatime filter that is the issue, but using the index column as a filter is just as slow.

Is this a connector issue - i know this connector is in beta, but it seems very slow.

My internet connection is sufficient to handle the queries.

I did notice that my VS version is only 32-bit, but my PBID is 64-bit.

Any thoughts on why the model loads are so slow? 

I am NOT using the collection partition value (client) as a filter right now, but there are not many partitions, and I thought that CosmosDB was supposed to hande the partition manamgent/optimization natively - if there are best pracitces, is there a guide somehwere?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JulianPayne_i4
Frequent Visitor

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Azure-DocumentDB-and-slow-refresh/m-p/115509#feedback-succe...

Answer at the bottom.

You need to do custom SQL (NoSQL) in yur query, the syntax is explanained in the attached link.

This is not DOCUMENTED by MSFT anywhere that I know of...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JulianPayne_i4
Frequent Visitor

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Azure-DocumentDB-and-slow-refresh/m-p/115509#feedback-succe...

Answer at the bottom.

You need to do custom SQL (NoSQL) in yur query, the syntax is explanained in the attached link.

This is not DOCUMENTED by MSFT anywhere that I know of...

Hi @JulianPayne_i4,

Have you resolved your problem with the suggestion mentioned in this link?

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.