Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mgwarren219

Slicers impacting only specific data

Hello I am working on a report that will show all Action Ttems for a specific department based on the Department you select from the Slicer. This report is built off a SP list but not using the out of the box BI that now comes with List. The Department field is a single select field and when a user heads to this page they can select the department and see all things Due and Overdue for the Selected department. 

What I am looking to have is a table that shows items that OTHER departments own but impacts the department selected. This way we can see everything related to one department in one glance. 

Is this possible? 

Here is a brief example (I hope this helps)

When I select the Marketing Team I can see everything blue (task 2 and 3) across the page. BUT in a separate table, I would also like to see the item in orange (Task 87) and it's details

DepartmentItemDue DateImpacts others?
MarketingTask2Jan 1st, 2024IT
MarketingTask3May 1st, 2024n/a
ITTask87June 7th, 2024Marketing
FinanceTask 32May 3rd, 2024n/a
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amustafa
Super User
Super User

You can duplicate your base table and run the join from base table on Department to Impact Others? column in duplicate table. (see the attached .pbix file.

amustafa_0-1714437005779.png

Report view with slicer

amustafa_1-1714437039842.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mgwarren219

Thank you! I will try to give this a shot this week!

amustafa
Super User
Super User

You can duplicate your base table and run the join from base table on Department to Impact Others? column in duplicate table. (see the attached .pbix file.

amustafa_0-1714437005779.png

Report view with slicer

amustafa_1-1714437039842.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

I think I got a step closer but it is still not working. I realized I may have left out the fact that the Impacts Other field may contain blanks BUT may also contain MULTIPLE departments. 

Here is an example of what it could look like. This is also all coming in from a MS List, so my assumption is I have to Duplicate my main table, so I can expand my 'Impacts Others?' field so all the other departments are on their own line, created duplicates. Then do as you recommended above? 

IDDepartmentItemDue DateImpacts others?
1MarketingTask2Jan 1st, 2024IT, Finance
2MarketingTask3May 1st, 2024n/a
3ITTask87June 7th, 2024Marketing
4FinanceTask 32May 3rd, 2024n/a

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.