Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RoSch
Frequent Visitor

Slicer with Calculated Column of a Calculated Group messes up calculation items

Hi everyone,

I am trying to get this to work: I created a calculated group with several items. I wish to group these items and to do so I have create a calculated column within the calculated group:

RoSch_0-1713282860908.png

This is so I can create a sort of higher hierarchical level to enable users to only see some measures or the other whithout having to select single calculations. The result is like this:

RoSch_5-1713283588657.png

However, when I try to use the calculated column in a slicer I get very confusing results in a matrix visual:

If I use the slicer to select single calculation items, it works just fine and i get the expected results (I have tested every calculation item as individual measure substituting the selectedmeasure() with the actual measure I need to calculate):

RoSch_2-1713283050933.png

However, if I select an entire "upper level" (which is ultimately my goal), it reapeats the value of the first calculation item in all calculation items:

RoSch_3-1713283098972.png

In my matrix, I used to have the parameter fields that recalled the name of the calculation items:

RoSch_4-1713283554592.png

But I have also tried just having the column straight from the calculation group.

I am also sure it worked just fine last month. Did anything change with calculation groups?  Can anyone help? I feel like i'm losing my mind.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoSch
Frequent Visitor

I created an unrelated table to reproduce the higher hierarchical level and put an if condition in the measures to make the calculation item blank in response to the selection on the unrelated table.

However, I still believe this is a bug. If there is indeed the possibility to create calculated columns in calculation groups, we should be able to use it in slicer and / or other visuals.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RoSch
Frequent Visitor

I created an unrelated table to reproduce the higher hierarchical level and put an if condition in the measures to make the calculation item blank in response to the selection on the unrelated table.

However, I still believe this is a bug. If there is indeed the possibility to create calculated columns in calculation groups, we should be able to use it in slicer and / or other visuals.

v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RoSch 

Based on your description, what is your measure  like? can you provide some sample code or sample data, or you can refer to the following link first.

Create calculation groups in Power BI (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xinruzhu-msft,

I can't really share that information, however, I tested out all of the calculation items within the calculation groups creating individual measures and they work fine. The calculation items also work fine and produce the expected results when no selection is on the slicer or individual items are selected from the slicer, so I really don't think it's a matter of expression of the calculation items.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.