Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

brookseitz
Regular Visitor

Slicer using both a date range and the end date

We have an investor dashboard that includes both time series data as well as point in time data. The user will select an investor and a date range and we have charts that show historical performance numbers from the start date to end date coming out of one table (capital) and also show portfolio allocation information as of the end date from another table (portfiolio). The time series data works fine but I'm looking for a way to use the end date in the slicer alone for the point in time data (looks pretty lame if the user has to type in the end date twice on the filter form and gives them the opportunity to generate data that is out of sync). I created a measure to dynamically capture the end date used in the date slicer ( reportDate = CALCULATE(MAX(Capital[End Date]), ALLSELECTED(Capital[End Date]))) ) but can't figure out how to use this value to filter the data in specific charts and graphs from portfolio data. I thought I could create a flag for "IsReportDate" in the portfolio table that could filter all of the rows where the date equals the report date and manually set that filter in the graphs, but couldn't find a way to get that to work.

In the screenshot below, I'd like to be able to filter for rows where the [Date] equals [reportDate]:

brookseitz_0-1654108575034.png

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'll give that a shot. I got around it by calculating a "filtered market value" for the current owner/end date from the slicers, which gives the expected results.

Filtered MV =
// calculate the owner and reporting end date from the slicers
VAR owner = CALCULATE(MAX(Capital[Owner]), ALLSELECTED(Capital[Owner]))
VAR reportDate = CALCULATE(MAX(Capital[End Date]), ALLSELECTED(Capital[End Date]))

RETURN
// sum the market values for rows for the current owner where date equals the reporting end date from slicer
CALCULATE(
SUM(Portfolio[MarketValue]),
ALL(Portfolio[Date]),
FILTER(
Portfolio,
Portfolio[Owner] = owner &&
Portfolio[Date] = reportDate
)
)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @brookseitz ,

Do you want to filter your visual to show the rows where the [Date] equals [reportDate]? I suggest you to create a measure and add this measure into visual level filter to filter your visual.

Filter =
IF ( MAX ( 'TableName'[Date] ) = [reportDate], 1, 0 )

Add this measure into visual level filter and set it to show items when value =1.

RicoZhou_0-1654247349256.png

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I'll give that a shot. I got around it by calculating a "filtered market value" for the current owner/end date from the slicers, which gives the expected results.

Filtered MV =
// calculate the owner and reporting end date from the slicers
VAR owner = CALCULATE(MAX(Capital[Owner]), ALLSELECTED(Capital[Owner]))
VAR reportDate = CALCULATE(MAX(Capital[End Date]), ALLSELECTED(Capital[End Date]))

RETURN
// sum the market values for rows for the current owner where date equals the reporting end date from slicer
CALCULATE(
SUM(Portfolio[MarketValue]),
ALL(Portfolio[Date]),
FILTER(
Portfolio,
Portfolio[Owner] = owner &&
Portfolio[Date] = reportDate
)
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.