Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kamini
Helper II
Helper II

Showing project progress based on Today's Date in percentage

Hi,

I have the Starting and End Dates of certain tasks, but I need to show the progress of these tasks compared to TODAY in some sort of Bar Chart, if possible or a matrix based on Today's date. 

Is there a way to accomplish this in Power BI?

Thanks a lot for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It looks like you need an aggregation selected in the visual for it to show up according to this post (if you don't have one, click on the field in the values well to add one): https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Conditional-formatting-no-data-bars-option/td-p/31...

I see you have one already for Duration but unsure about the Progress. I'm assuming Progress is some sort of number type column also (it needs to be). 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
kamini
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks so much!

christinepayton
Super User
Super User

Sure, I like to do this in Power Query. You just add a custom column and subtract one from the other and transform to days to get the duration. The function for "today" in PQ is "DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow())". I did a video here on how to visualize progress and duration of tasks in the Microsoft Gantt visual if that's useful, it goes through how to do the subtraction. You could also do it in a matrix, but I like Gantt for things with start and end dates. 

Hi Christine, I didn't communicate correctly in my end. I have a Power BI Report presently as an example shown below. I need to add the Percentage of Progress to this report. I was able to add the % of progress after reviewing some of the DAX statements to do so; however, now I need to show the Progress as a separate CARD or included in this Report as a Progress Bar... 

Instead of Percentage Numbers the right most column, I'm trying to find some sort of coloring or visualization, 

kamini_0-1694548072653.png

Let me know 

Thanks,

Sure, you could just click on the measure or column in the values well and use conditional formatting -> data bars. If you set the highest and lowest value there to what you want them to be (e.g. 100% being highest), it should make a bar in your table that gives you a visual impression of size. 

I like to use a light color shade for conditional formatting bars so that when the number overlaps the bar, it's easy to read on both ends. 

Or if you want it in a separate card, just drop it in a card visual? If the % is on a row-by-row basis already, perhaps setting the summarization for it to "average" would be a good option to give you the average % progress. 

Christine, thanks so much. Well, my Progress calculation is a Column and not a measure,

Progress = divide(datediff([start Date], today(), day), datediff([start date], [Finish Date], day))
I also have the Duration as below but I don't get the Data Bar option under Conditioning,
Duration = DATEDIFF('ITD Projects'[Start date],'ITD Projects'[Finish Date],DAY)
kamini_0-1694606951674.png

Thanks for your time.

It looks like you need an aggregation selected in the visual for it to show up according to this post (if you don't have one, click on the field in the values well to add one): https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Conditional-formatting-no-data-bars-option/td-p/31...

I see you have one already for Duration but unsure about the Progress. I'm assuming Progress is some sort of number type column also (it needs to be). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.