Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

james_k_apm

SharePoint List Access to resource is forbidden

Hi All,

I have googled for this issue but not seeming to find what might be causing this.

I am tying to connect to a SharePoint Online list via the Power BI desktop but keep getting an "Access to resource is forbidden" see below:

Power BI SharePoint List Error.jpg

I know my user credentials has access to the site, I am the site owner, is there anything else I should be looking at?

Cheers

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @james_k_apm,

The above error could occur when using wrong log-in option to connect to SharePoint.

If your site is Office365, please enter organizational credential using the third option in the above screenshot. If your site is on premise, use Windows credentials as you mentioned. In addition, make sure that you use the latest version of Power BI Desktop.

For more details about connecting to SharePoint Online list from Power BI Desktop, please review this similar article: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Connect-to-a-SharePoint-List-Power-Query-3226f248-f8b3-4777... .

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
chanwulee

After I change windows login password, this happened to me.

Windows login password change will update login information to Office365 Apps and Power BI desktop as well.

But it does not update login information from Power BI desktop to your sharepoint site. 

1. File - Options and settings - Data source settings

2. (select the data source)  Edit permissions... - Edit

3. Select Microsoft Account (because I login to sharepoint using Microsoft Account, Office365)

4. You will see your login condition just below site address. Press Sign in button just below it.

5. After sign in, save and close.

6. If you have multiple connections, you have to do it for all connections.

I hope this solve your problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well done mate, worked like a charm. 

JoeFox
Advocate II
Advocate II

I've had this problem a few times and have always just done the following:

In Power BI desktop version, go File > Options and settings > Data source settings

Then, highlight the data source you are trying to connect to and select 'Clear permissions' and then select 'Delete'. 

It's a pain having to do this, but I find it is a reliable way to get past the dreaded 'forbidden' message. Also, if other reports used the data source connection that you just deleted, when you open the report again you may well have to authenticate again. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

This worked for me too.

Thanks @JoeFox 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks ... this worked for me

czalme
Regular Visitor

This problem makes me crazy.  I run into all the time.  I never get to work in Power BI because I spend all my time just trying to get it. Then it gets put to the side for another six months -- I'm going on two years of this nonsense.  In February, I finally got a Microsoft expert to help me, we got in, by clearing the credentials.  I got in one other time and -- today -- the same problem has once again reared its ugly head  and I can't seem to get past it.  

1. I'm trying to access a SharePoint list
  2. I've cleared all credentials as per my earlier instructions with Microsoft.  
  3. I choose Web
  4. I choose Organizational account 
  5. I paste my URL
  6. It says I'm not signed in
  7. I choose Connect and it says the current user isn't signed in. 
  8. I go back.
  9. There is the URL with basic selected
  10. I choose enter and it takes me back to Anonymous
  11. I choose Organizational account 
  12. This time I choose "Sign In"
  13. Tells me I'm being signed in
  14. I pick my organization account
  15. Takes me to my sign in page and does the authentication
  16. Now it says you are currently signed in -- which I have been all along and invites me to sign in as a different user. 
  17. Just for the heck of it, I select sign in as a different user and I get Access_denied: Access denied.  

This is infuriating and a huge waste of my time to keep using a process that does not work.  Any ideas???  Please????????????

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pros, 

Does anyone know how to enable my colleage to refresh data on Excel(within the Power BI services)? the data sources come from a file was saved on SharePoint.  We are using Office 365 rather than Power BI Desk, my colleage and I both can access to the SharePoint folder but when my colleage refresh data on Excel (Power BI), the error message shows: "[DataSource.Error]Could not find a part of the path:xxxxx." It looks like a file path access error, or a gateway for on-premises?

Does anyone got experiences on how to get data resources which enable other users to refresh data resource?

Thanks a lot

RamyaKanaka
Employee
Employee

Hi,

My Password is all updated and I am using Organisational account to connect to the excel on sharepoint. But i am still getting "Access to resource if forbidden" error. Any help please?

Thanks,

Ramya

@james_k_apm wrote:

Hi All,

I have googled for this issue but not seeming to find what might be causing this.

I am tying to connect to a SharePoint Online list via the Power BI desktop but keep getting an "Access to resource is forbidden" see below:

Power BI SharePoint List Error.jpg

I know my user credentials has access to the site, I am the site owner, is there anything else I should be looking at?

Cheers

James

I have the same issue. 

Logged into Power BI Desktop with my O365 account, however, I want to open on-premises SharePoint List as a data source. I place site URL, Windows login, but always got the error: Unable to connect. Details: "Access to the resource is forbidden."

Power BI desktop client updated to the latest version. 

Any other suggestions?

thanks,

Marta

Anonymous
Not applicable

1. go to home
  2. edit queries
  3. Click on Data source Settings
  4. edit permissions
  5. give ur organisatio credentials
  6. good to go Smiley Happy

many thanks for this, I tried many differents things but this one worked 🙂

Hi,

thank you for your answer!

What helped was editing global permissions although the dashboard was using data sources in current file only. 

regards,

Michalina

michalinasta
Frequent Visitor

I have similar issue with the erros "Access to the resource is forbidden".

I was sucesfully using Power BI connected to the Sharepint folder (for 3 weeks) and yesterday I've opend Power BI desktop and after refreshing my Dashboard I've received this error.

I was trying to fix it by changing the microsoft password (it was suppose to expire in 11 days). I also logged in with organizational account and tried windows account as well. I even downloaded the newest version of Power BI Desktop. Nothing helped. The error occures while trying to refresh the data.

I'm the owner of this SharePoint folder. 

I would appreciate any support in this matter!

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can reset your data connection by following below steps,

File --> Options & Settings --> Data source settings --> select your data source --> click on clear permission.

Now when you try to connect your data source such as sharepoint list, it will allow you to reneter your credential. select the 3rd option "Windows" while entering your credentials.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear, Thanks a million for the solution. I had selected my org's sharepoint domain name itself rather than selecting the actual path of my sharepoint workspace and  since then Power Query kept on throwing the access to resource is forbidden error.

and I had no idea on how to reset my source. thanks for the solution, dear.

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

This did it for me - thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  I had this problem as well, when using Organizational Account I was able to sign in but then got an error "we couldn't sign you in with the current credentials". I had to delete all permissions and then edit credentials again for all data sources. Then I was able to apply changes.

The reason why Access was denied was due to user password change required by my organisation every 6 months

Once I reset my credentials with my new password all worked fine

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @james_k_apm,

The above error could occur when using wrong log-in option to connect to SharePoint.

If your site is Office365, please enter organizational credential using the third option in the above screenshot. If your site is on premise, use Windows credentials as you mentioned. In addition, make sure that you use the latest version of Power BI Desktop.

For more details about connecting to SharePoint Online list from Power BI Desktop, please review this similar article: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Connect-to-a-SharePoint-List-Power-Query-3226f248-f8b3-4777... .

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.