Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DmitryKo
Helper IV
Helper IV

Setting proper slicer value when drilling down

Simple scenario with TabB used as a drill-through tab from TabA, with a single Dim_CategoryKey. TabB has a slicer that lets you quickly choose a category.

Expected behavior: when I choose Dim_CategoryKey on TabA and drill-through to TabB, I get to a tab where that Dim_CategoryKey is selected in the slicer.
Actual behavior: report at TabB just gets messed up and totally unusuable (especially if slicer is single selection), as Dim_CategoryKey chosen at drill-through gets into a hidden page-level filter instead.

Essentially the same question has been asked THREE YEARS ago (How do I get a slicer to be driven by drill throug... - Microsoft Power BI Community); is there a solution yet?

6 REPLIES 6
speedramps
Super User
Super User

Hmmmh ... it is tricky to help you without an example.

pleaae can you create a PBIX and use Enter Data to copy and paste some dummy data (dont share pivate data)

then share the pbix here using onedrive or dropbox

Why there needs to be an example if the case is super simple?

Data model has a dimension - DimCategory. There's a tab that displays reports about that dimension. We can drill-through to that tab. After drilling through there, we need to be able to change the selected DimCategory through the slicer. That is all.

Remember that super users are unpaid volunteers who help hundreds of users for fun on their spare time.

It would be quicker and nicer for you to provide the requested example than give back chat.

If it is "super simple" then fix it on your own.

I've tried to help you with one suggestion (which I still think could be the answer).

Then you have declined to provide an example as requested.

Therefore, with regret, I have closed the ticket.

I am really keen to help, if you later provide the example.

It would be really easier if you didn't start every sentence as a separate paragraph, and didn't mark incorrect reply in MY topic as "accepted solution". But at least you aren't using signature that takes 1/2 screen height and full of advertisement.

speedramps
Super User
Super User

Welcome to the single selection paradox !

The report is not "messed up".

It is just doing what you told it to do.

Not what you want it to do,
Computers can be so annoyong sometimes  😀😀😀

Single selection does what it says on the tin.

And it will remember the previous selection as the next default, which may screw your report.

The work arround is to add a table visual (not a slicer) on the master page.
With a drillthrough button to your child page.

Hide the child page and save and publish the report whilst on the master page.

This will force the users to only select one option before the drill through button is enabled.

When the user clicks the button they will navigate to the next page.

but will be unware of what is happend under the hood.

It sound like you also need single selection on the second page.

Dont add single selection slicer.

You can daisy chain several drillthrough master / child / grandchild pages

each with a drill though rather than using a single selection slicer.

As soon as use the single selection slicer you are screwed,

because  single selection slicers do what they say on the tin.

Whereas drillthough steps through.  Try it and practice !

Thanks for reaching out for help.

I put in a lot of effort to help you, now please quickly help me by giving kudos.

Remember we are unpaid volunteers and here to coach you with Power BI and DAX skills and techniques, not do the users job for them. So please click the thumbs up and accept as solution button. 

If you give someone a fish then you only give them one meal, but if you teach them how to fish then they can feed themselves and teach others for a lifetime.  I prefer to teach members on this forum techniques rather give full solutions and do their job. You can then adapt the technique for your solution, learn some DAX skills for next time and soon become a Power BI Super User like me. 

One question per ticket please. If you need to extend your request then please raise a new ticket.

You will get a quicker response and each volunteer solver will get the kudos they deserve. Thank you ! 

This does not solve anything, as the target tab's behavior doesn't change. Hiding the target tab is not an option, because both scenarios needs to be available:
1) Drilling through to a category (target tab)
2) While on the target tab, selecting different category to view corresponding data

Also, there is no need to add a table on the "master page" because drill through, by definition, passes current filter context to the target page; this ensures that drill-through is available from literally any data point that has appropriate dimension as a context filter (if that dimension is configured as a possible filter on the target page).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.