Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PeterTomažin
Regular Visitor

Selecting only secound value from duplicate pairs

I am trying to select only rows of secound values in duplcate pairs from my table. The problem is that I cannot seem to find the right Filter/Function to do this in DAX.

Below is a sample from my table, from which I removed sesitive data.

Neimenovano.png

Decode colums of the table:

1. ID - uniqe ID
  2. Date - date of insertion of data, this is where I want to Ignore first duplicate row and select only the secound one
  3. Tedenski izpis - date that is used for visualisation, Saturday(no sum across data)
  4. Duplicates - if set to 1, there are duplicates in the Datum vnosa cell(all of the duplicates are *always* inserted one after another as can be seen in the picture

An exaple of what I want to do in DAX:

1. Select date first row
  2. Check for duplicates (IF([DuplicatiOverhead]=1))
    1. IF duplicate ignore first value (in this case, row with ID of 1)
      1. Write secound value to a separate column [ForGraph](in this case, a cell [Tedenski izpis] with ID of 2)
    2. IF no duplicates, write value of [Tedenski izpis] to separate column [ForGraph]
  3. Loop back until done

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PeterTomažin 

You can use below code to create a column. This only marks the first duplicated row as 1. [Date] is a column which only contains date values from the [Datum vnosa] column.

Duplicated Row = 
VAR __latestID = MAXX(FILTER(SampleTable,SampleTable[Date]=EARLIER(SampleTable[Date])),SampleTable[ID])
RETURN
IF(SampleTable[ID]=__latestID,BLANK(),1)

082302.jpg

Then you can use this column to filter table in other DAX formulas. For example,

Overhead Material Measure = CALCULATE(SUM(SampleTable[Overhead Material]),SampleTable[Duplicated Row]<>1)

You can also remove the duplicated rows from the query in Power Query Editor if you don't want to use these data in the report further. Here is a similar thread for your reference: Select newest data in column 

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PeterTomažin 

You can use below code to create a column. This only marks the first duplicated row as 1. [Date] is a column which only contains date values from the [Datum vnosa] column.

Duplicated Row = 
VAR __latestID = MAXX(FILTER(SampleTable,SampleTable[Date]=EARLIER(SampleTable[Date])),SampleTable[ID])
RETURN
IF(SampleTable[ID]=__latestID,BLANK(),1)

082302.jpg

Then you can use this column to filter table in other DAX formulas. For example,

Overhead Material Measure = CALCULATE(SUM(SampleTable[Overhead Material]),SampleTable[Duplicated Row]<>1)

You can also remove the duplicated rows from the query in Power Query Editor if you don't want to use these data in the report further. Here is a similar thread for your reference: Select newest data in column 

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

Yeah, I've figured out that Power Querry -> Remove Duplicates was the easiest solution to this. Anyway, thanks for help @v-jingzhang.

mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Please provide sample data where we  can copy. 

Thank you

Here is a link to a zip archive with SampleData.xlsx and SampleDataDuplicates.pbix. https://ufile.io/hgprs86d

I hope this helps you, sadly I can not give you the full pbix file for data security reasons. I have also added a sample graph from which you can see the type of graph that I get.

As stated before, I get this columns by:

• Tedenski izpis = IF([St dan]<>7, [Datum vnosa]-[St dan], [Datum vnosa])
  • Skrit datum = DAY([Datum vnosa])&". "&MONTH([Datum vnosa])&". "&[Year]
  • DuplikatiOverhead = IF(CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Overhead'),FILTER('Overhead',[Skrit datum]=EARLIER([Skrit datum])))>1, "1", BLANK())

Thanks for help @mussaenda.

PeterTomažin
Regular Visitor

If it helps, this is how I get [Tedeski zapis]:

Tedenski izpis = IF([St dan]<>7, [Datum vnosa]-[St dan], [Datum vnosa])

And this is how I get [DuplikatiOverhead] (I have to use a seperate date column because of the date format):

Skrit datum = DAY([Datum vnosa])&". "&MONTH([Datum vnosa])&". "&[Year]

DuplikatiOverhead = IF(CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Overhead'),FILTER('Overhead',[Skrit datum]=EARLIER([Skrit datum])))>1, "1", BLANK())

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.